Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2014, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler Command pro fuel in oil

I have a Kohler Command Pro 25 with a Keihin One Barrel Carb. Checked the oil and it has gas in it.

I checked the float and it appears to be working ( not gas filled and fuel shuts off when raised). I also did some checks and it appears that the Fuel shut off solenoid is not working.
Would a non functional Fuel shut off solenoid cause fuel in oil, or do I have more than one issue.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Old 03-09-2014, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mike,

The fuel solenoid only shuts fuel off to the main jet, Replace the float needle valve and clean the seat with a Q-tip soaked with carb & choke cleaner. Make sure the plunger in the solenoid moves freely and you have power and ground to it, And of course change the oil and filter.......

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 03-10-2014, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Over the last few years I've seen issues with engines flooding when parked. I'm thinking the material on the end of some of the needles doesn't play well with modern gas. The sure fire cure is to shut the gas off at the end of the day.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is a common problem with small engines, over the years I have had all sorts and brands do it, Kohler seems to do it a bit more than the rest.
The float bowl mechanism fails to completely shut off the fuel flow, and gasoline seeps through the carburetor into the engine.
It is easiest to notice when recoil starting such an engine as it can be extremely difficult to start, and fuel comes flying out of the muffler.

The first thing you have to do is shut down the fuel, then change the oil and filter, running it with gas in the oil will shorten the engine's lifespan (and I mean it will shorten it). Once that's taken care of... Pull the spark plug, blow air in the chamber, clean the plug, may have to repeat this, until it starts.

Long-term care:
You do it however you want...
Some people tell me, replace the carburetor...
Others will say, rebuild it.
But I could only take so many impromptu oil and filter changes before I learned anytime an engine gets shut down I turn off the fuel petcock underneath the gas tank and I'm telling you, Fuel in the oil problem solved... Takes a little practice, for me the turning point came the day fuel was in the oil not three days after I had just changed the oil and filter for the same reason...
Nowadays, I turn off that fuel petcock religiously.
Don't forget, before starting the engine, to turn the fuel back on.
I haven't had fuel in the oil in quite some years.

Last edited by herler; 03-11-2014 at 01:08 AM.