Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2006, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

A friend of mine bought one for his personal use last year. There were several things I didn't care for, some of which may have been addressed in current models. I don't really know.

One feature I didn't care for is the way the power deck lift is set up. I like power deck lifts, and have a hydraulic one on my Gravely, which I would hate to do without. However, the one on the Bad Boy has no stops. On my Gravely, you can raise the deck, then just drop it back down to the stop with no problem, keeping the cutting height the same. With the Bad Boy, after raising the deck, you have to stop the mower, turn your head to the right, and watch a little indicator arm attached to the deck to make sure you get it set back to the proper height.

My friends' mower has dual tanks, but no valve to switch from one to the other, making it easy to run out. I like to run one tank low, then switch to the full tank, keeping a reserve, so I don't have to worry about running out.

My Gravely is the 200 series, having the pivoting front end, which makes the ride a bit smoother, so I also didn't care for the fixed Bad Boy front end.

The Bad Boy deck is not suspended, either. I don't know how important that is, but I think the suspension gives you a bit more protection from damage.

Lastly, I too thought the controls were touchy, and had a little difficulty mowing along a fence with his mower, but I'm sure enough seat time will take care fo that.

The easy engine access is a plus, but I felt that they skimped on some features just to keep the retail price below the competition. Just my opinon.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey
A friend of mine bought one for his personal use last year. There were several things I didn't care for, some of which may have been addressed in current models. I don't really know.

One feature I didn't care for is the way the power deck lift is set up. I like power deck lifts, and have a hydraulic one on my Gravely, which I would hate to do without. However, the one on the Bad Boy has no stops. On my Gravely, you can raise the deck, then just drop it back down to the stop with no problem, keeping the cutting height the same. With the Bad Boy, after raising the deck, you have to stop the mower, turn your head to the right, and watch a little indicator arm attached to the deck to make sure you get it set back to the proper height.

My friends' mower has dual tanks, but no valve to switch from one to the other, making it easy to run out. I like to run one tank low, then switch to the full tank, keeping a reserve, so I don't have to worry about running out.

My Gravely is the 200 series, having the pivoting front end, which makes the ride a bit smoother, so I also didn't care for the fixed Bad Boy front end.

The Bad Boy deck is not suspended, either. I don't know how important that is, but I think the suspension gives you a bit more protection from damage.

Lastly, I too thought the controls were touchy, and had a little difficulty mowing along a fence with his mower, but I'm sure enough seat time will take care fo that.

The easy engine access is a plus, but I felt that they skimped on some features just to keep the retail price below the competition. Just my opinon.
Tell me about how you use the hydraulic lift on your mower, I really like the idea behind it but on my Hustler I have to pick the deck up very quickly just a little and let it back down very fast in a few different situations and I don't think the hydraulic system can react quickly enough. I am getting older so the hydraulic lift is something I would like but I would appreciate it if you can tell me how you use it. Thanks
Old 08-06-2006, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
Tell me about how you use the hydraulic lift on your mower, I really like the idea behind it but on my Hustler I have to pick the deck up very quickly just a little and let it back down very fast in a few different situations and I don't think the hydraulic system can react quickly enough. I am getting older so the hydraulic lift is something I would like but I would appreciate it if you can tell me how you use it. Thanks
A hydralic deck is BS.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALSLOW
A hydralic deck is BS.
Well, to each his own opinion. Puppypaws, the Gravely lift has a lever down by the seat on the left side, which has been redesigned on newer models. I've never tried one of the newer designs, but I think from looking at it, it is a little shorter throw.

Anyhow, the response isn't instantaneous, but I don't believe it is any slower than a manual one. After a while, you can kind of get a "feel" for how much to hit the lever for different things. For example, if I need to clear an object like a rock sticking up, or those pesky septic access pipes, I can just give the lever a little flick, and it will raise the deck just about 1/2 inch. Another touch, and it will drop back down to the set mowing height.

If you have a larger area where you need more clearance, it is a simple matter to watch the height indicator and set it wherever you want it, mow the area, then drop it back down to the stop.

It is also handier than heck every time you load your mower, if your ramp is like mine and a bit too steep. Just a flick of the lever raises the deck to its maximum height.

As for those of you who insist anything power is "BS", then why aren't you using push type reel mowers like we did when I was growing up? Give me a break. Perhaps power decks aren't for everyone, but that is why they make mowers without them. I, personally, would have a difficult time purchasing a full-sized mower without one now that I've grown accustomed to using it. To me, anything that makes work a little easier is worth the additional expense.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

i dont like the manual decks that dont have foot assist
but the hydrolic is a little slow for me. with my manual decks i can just quickly push the foot assist and never slow down i have to slow down a little with hydrolic not enough to say DONT buy one though cause if pushing the pedal bothers you at all then you probally could use the hydrolic lift

for the record i could hold the deck up with my foot all day long if i needed to
and on most my decks i looseded the spring to keep bounce to a minimum so over the years i guess my legs are just strong enough to not notice how heavy a deck can be....in short if the manual bothers you in the slightest get the hydro nect time around its great!
Old 08-06-2006, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mabey both would be good but I practically ride with my foot on the peddle at all times for the finess foot press.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
That unit looks to be very heavy built, why do you think they don't use the rubber discharge chute? It is always noted that the Dixie and Hustler are the fastest but I see the Bad Boy has a mowing speed of 15 mph also, I can mow at 15 mph on good ground and do a good job, how does the Bad Boy do cutting at top speed? How about cutting steeper slopes it looks a little taller than some mowers, does it handle wet grass decent no mower is designed to cut wet grass very well even if they claim to. Is maintenance easy on this mower, how many grease fittings and do they have a good design for draining the oil and not getting it all over everything. This mower looks to be as solid as a rock, is there anything other than the rubber discharge chute that you think might be improved. What could these different Bad Boy mowers be bought for I have seen the list prices, also do you know or have heard anything about the 35 hp Vanguard engine? Thanks
Ok to answer your questions. Why no rubber discharge chute? no idea? my dealer included an advance chute system (OCDC) in my deal for free so I took my chute off and added this. As for speed? mine does just fine wide open as long as i'm not cutting Bahia then I need to slow it down some. Slopes? I'm in Florida and the only hills or slopes I have are retention ponds. It does a good job on these. I do have one pretty steep section that I slow way down on because it will give your butt an uneasy feeling but it does stay pretty straight and does not slide with no front end lift. If I had any to steep I use my push mower no matter what ZTR I have just for safety. I have had no problems with wet grass. Maintenance is a dream. Everything is easy to get to and spaced out nicely. All the panels can be opened up ( loosen 2 nuts per section) to get to whatwever you want to work on. To be honest Have yet to open any yet. Because everything General Maint. is easy to get to. 9 Grease fittings / Oil drains right out the bottom of mower with no problem as long as you know what your doing. Improvements? For me, because of the weight and the solid frame work. Mower can ride rough in some situations. I have a regular seat. The newer one's (06) have a adjustable seat for weight and backrest which are supposed to help with the comfort part of the ride. I got my 52 in. 27hp Pup out the door with chute system and a extra set of blades for $6500 Tag had $6995 on it. As for price? depends on dealer. As for the Vanguard 35hp? I have not tried one. My dealer likes them. He had a Badboy AOS 72 inch with the 35hp Cat diesel last time I stopped by to chat and drove it around the lot. Boy is that a brute of a machine but pricey. Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Instant lift Electronic actuator deck lift on my badboy is a switch, push forward to lower pull back to raise. Height gauge is by your right foot easy to see. May not be as fast as a manual foot adjuster. For me, lifting a 1/4 inch solid steel deck up and down all day. I will let it do the job.

How durable is the electric deck lift?

The actuator which controls the deck height is designed for moving loads of up to 1000 pounds and has a static holding capability which exceeds 3,000 pounds. Our ¼” deck weighs approximately 250 pounds which is only 25% of its working capability.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinox29
Ok to answer your questions. Why no rubber discharge chute? no idea? my dealer included an advance chute system (OCDC) in my deal for free so I took my chute off and added this. As for speed? mine does just fine wide open as long as i'm not cutting Bahia then I need to slow it down some. Slopes? I'm in Florida and the only hills or slopes I have are retention ponds. It does a good job on these. I do have one pretty steep section that I slow way down on because it will give your butt an uneasy feeling but it does stay pretty straight and does not slide with no front end lift. If I had any to steep I use my push mower no matter what ZTR I have just for safety. I have had no problems with wet grass. Maintenance is a dream. Everything is easy to get to and spaced out nicely. All the panels can be opened up ( loosen 2 nuts per section) to get to whatwever you want to work on. To be honest Have yet to open any yet. Because everything General Maint. is easy to get to. 9 Grease fittings / Oil drains right out the bottom of mower with no problem as long as you know what your doing. Improvements? For me, because of the weight and the solid frame work. Mower can ride rough in some situations. I have a regular seat. The newer one's (06) have a adjustable seat for weight and backrest which are supposed to help with the comfort part of the ride. I got my 52 in. 27hp Pup out the door with chute system and a extra set of blades for $6500 Tag had $6995 on it. As for price? depends on dealer. As for the Vanguard 35hp? I have not tried one. My dealer likes them. He had a Badboy AOS 72 inch with the 35hp Cat diesel last time I stopped by to chat and drove it around the lot. Boy is that a brute of a machine but pricey. Hope this helps.
You did a wonderful job of answering my questions that is the only I can learn is by asking specific questions,I don't like blanket coverage on anything I am trying to learn about. Thanks again!