Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2013, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

DR Power or Billy Goat?

Looking to purchase a walk-behind field and brush mower and also a lawn and leaf vacuum this next season. I've watched every demo video available and still can't decide. Not sure which is the better investment...DR or Billy Goat? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Other brands

These 2 are the only brands I have researched. Would like to hear any reviews on any other brands also. I don't want to make a high dollar purchase that I will regret later. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For the brushmower I would go with the DR. I own the large one with the 30" deck and 18 hp kaw. engine. It has been reliable and will mow over any heavy growth. The billy goat was no doubt a well built unit. But a smaller engine and deck were not to my liking. I also do a lot of ditch mowing and needed a pivoting deck. The fixed deck units are tough to maneuver in certain applications also.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The DR will also accept a blade for plowing snow and moving loose material.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I was impressed with the DR brush mower and the BillyGoat leaf vac. I like the attachments for the DR and the construction. I like that the BG leaf vac has a attached hose for getting under bushes where a rake is difficult. The DR does have a hose attachment, but it looks much bigger and a little more time consuming to stop and attach. I was hoping to stick with 1 brand...
Old 12-05-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcforeman1 View Post
I was impressed with the DR brush mower and the BillyGoat leaf vac. I like the attachments for the DR and the construction. I like that the BG leaf vac has a attached hose for getting under bushes where a rake is difficult. The DR does have a hose attachment, but it looks much bigger and a little more time consuming to stop and attach. I was hoping to stick with 1 brand...
Buying the same brand is overated. Buy what you need. I would get the bg for leaves and the brushmower from DR. I own multiple brands of equipment stihl echo husqavarna toro ect.... I buy what is best for my specific application. Brands mean nothing buy what is best for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries's Avatar
Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries is offline
Sponsor

I might be considered biased but I'll put my 2 cent in. If you want commercial buy commercial, if you want homeowner by homeowner. DR. is marketed to homeowners for a reason. The DR has some cool features that advertise well but if you've spent any time behind one you'll see the inherent challenges. There's a reason rental fleets avoid them. They simply don't survive hard use year after year. I own one and we test it in the same conditions we test our own BC's in. It's not a bad unit but while testing I'd gotten to be a regular when it comes to buying parts.

Billy Goat has 2 new versions of a BC that were introduced 2 years ago. One has a pivoting deck and is hydrostatically driven with a auto locking differential, the other is a fixed deck with a mechanical drive and open differential. We are the #1 BC supplier in the Rental industry because we are the toughest, safest, and most durable in the worst of conditions and end users.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries View Post
I might be considered biased but I'll put my 2 cent in. If you want commercial buy commercial, if you want homeowner by homeowner. DR. is marketed to homeowners for a reason. The DR has some cool features that advertise well but if you've spent any time behind one you'll see the inherent challenges. There's a reason rental fleets avoid them. They simply don't survive hard use year after year. I own one and we test it in the same conditions we test our own BC's in. It's not a bad unit but while testing I'd gotten to be a regular when it comes to buying parts.

Billy Goat has 2 new versions of a BC that were introduced 2 years ago. One has a pivoting deck and is hydrostatically driven with a auto locking differential, the other is a fixed deck with a mechanical drive and open differential. We are the #1 BC supplier in the Rental industry because we are the toughest, safest, and most durable in the worst of conditions and end users.
The billygoat is no doubt a better built machine. But I have used my DR for almost 5 years now on my personal property and on about 5-10 jobs annually and it has held up. I also use the unit for snow removal around my shop as it is surrounded by gravel. It does not dig into the gravel like a tractor or my truck w\ plow does. My unit does not get the use of one at a rental yard so it fits what I need it to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Little wonder makes a lawn vac.