Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2014, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Good point Wenzel and others. So mowing after overseeding does not hurt. Really? How do you know? Has anyone seen any data from experiments on this idea? Any evidence to back up the idea?

Actually, I agree, however--is anybody willing to try it and see? Aerate--overseed--mow half--postpone mowing on the other half?
Such a test sounds like it would be way to difficult for myself. Almost impossible experiment. How would you compare the two treatments? How would you count the number of new seedlings that had sprouted?

What about it Skip? Can this idea be tested?
Can this idea be tested? Sure Ė anything can be tested. Maybe the proper question is: does it need to be tested?

First, though, we may need to get the terminology down, so weíre all on the same page. Overseeding is what we call the process of seeding a different species into a turf stand to introduce a temporary cover, like seeding perennial ryegrass into bermudagrass to give color and usability during bermudagrass dormancy. What you guys are talking about is interseeding, where you use seed of the same species to increase turf density.

How to manage interseeding has been studied only sparingly in academia. But, to talk through the process, there are two main things weíre going to be concerned about here:

1) Are we ripping seedlings out of the ground by mowing?
2) If we donít mow, are we creating too much shade and competition for the young seedlings to survive?

As long as we have proper seed-to-soil contact in our interseeding, just running a mower over the area will have no effect on the seeds and it wonít rip the seedlings out of the ground because they wonít be touched by the mower blade until theyíre tall enough to be adequately anchored into the ground by their own roots. I think the drawbacks to not mowing are worse than anything that might happen when mowing.

Although I would be careful about equating anything about lawncare to high end athletic fields (totally different purpose of management), another poster remarked about professional athletic field managers seeding thin spots in fields before games. That practice isnít very widely used and may not be terribly effective, but a very common practice is filling divots (areas where cleats have torn turf out) with soil and primed seed after mowing the field immediately following the game. Those areas are then mowed two days later when the entire field is mowed.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like what Skipster said. Makes sense.
As far as leaving plugs on top >> I like doing that so I can also charge for topdressing.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
Who combo'ed aeration and seed to begin with?

Golf courses started it. It is all anybody does here. It is extremely rare to see anybody slit seed here. Aerating, seeding and a good starter fert coupled with proper watering is excellent on established lawns. Have actually seen it work very well on very thin lawns as well if done properly. The seed doesnt just come up in the holes. As the plugs break down it covers seed on the flat ground and it will also germinate and take root. Where the notion comes from that aerating and seeding should not go together I have no clue.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 09-07-2014, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Aeration is important to sustain quality turf and a money maker! You invest in a decent machine and you can turn large profits! I have a 72" woods unit I pull behind my Kubota tractor(96 blades 1000 lb weight tray) I have made more money with this aerator, than with any other machine we have ever owned!
Old 09-07-2014, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

aeration + seeding (w/watering, fert etc.) equals rooted new grass. always wondered how well this processed worked.