Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-05-2014, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

oh boy.......I just got this response back minutes after I sent my email;

I am going to measure the area off with a tape measure tonight and give you an exact number tonight. Based on the first and last estimates, I should be able to determine the cost and let you know.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL i dont think he was listening t you when you mentioned you only do full installs at this time of year

if hes as smart as he thinks he is, he can google 'howmuch grass seed do i need for my lawn'
Old 09-05-2014, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
LOL i dont think he was listening t you when you mentioned you only do full installs at this time of year

if hes as smart as he thinks he is, he can google 'howmuch grass seed do i need for my lawn'
Ha ha ha....seriously man! I'm thinking to myself, is this guy thick headed or what?

HE is going to TELL ME the price!! Did you see he actually said that in his email to me? I had to read it twice! He thinks he is going to take my minimum price of $2500 for 10,000 sq ft and my high price of $1800 for 6,000 sq ft and tell me what price I should do it for? Even though I said there are variables like condition of existing soil and top soil possibly needing to be trucked in.

Am I in the Twilight Zone or what???
Old 09-05-2014, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you believe this guy? I suspect I will be getting a phone call or email in a couple hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, he texted me and said 7400-7500 sq ft. That was it. Not sure what he wants me to do at this point. Give him yet another price?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2014, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hes being a cheap-o, and wants to shave as much as he can off the price....never take the homeowners measurements as reliable, they are rounding down in order to save money, while a contractor will round up and add a little extra to make sure there is plenty of product

you will have to accurately measure this area and check the conditions of the area yourself to give him a final answer on price

if you want the job, go get it, if not, tell him you just got more work while he was dicking you around for the last week and a half.....you snooze, you lose
Old 09-06-2014, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have been unable to give him a solid price so he's going to do it for you, based on the info you've given him. You have opened yourself up to this by neither turning the job down nor going out there to do an estimate. Yeah I know it's far away and you want to make sure it's not wasted time, but you can't accurately estimate this job without looking at it.

I think you need to take control and either get your ass out there and give the guy a solid estimate or tell him you're not interested (too far/too busy or whatever).
Old 09-06-2014, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditta&Sons View Post
hes being a cheap-o, and wants to shave as much as he can off the price....never take the homeowners measurements as reliable, they are rounding down in order to save money, while a contractor will round up and add a little extra to make sure there is plenty of product

you will have to accurately measure this area and check the conditions of the area yourself to give him a final answer on price

if you want the job, go get it, if not, tell him you just got more work while he was dicking you around for the last week and a half.....you snooze, you lose

Yeah he is a cheapo that's what I've heard his reputation is. I'll go out there in person within the next few days to measure and look at the soil in person and give him a quote.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2014, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
You have been unable to give him a solid price so he's going to do it for you, based on the info you've given him. You have opened yourself up to this by neither turning the job down nor going out there to do an estimate. Yeah I know it's far away and you want to make sure it's not wasted time, but you can't accurately estimate this job without looking at it.

I think you need to take control and either get your ass out there and give the guy a solid estimate or tell him you're not interested (too far/too busy or whatever).

Yeah you're right it's just been a real pain as far away as a he lives but that's what needs to happen, go out there in person.

I'll try to make it out there within the next couple of days measure myself look around at the soil and I'll post back here with what happens.

What's getting to me as I told him 1500 – 1800 for 5 to 6000 ft.² and he said that was out of his budget. He sends me that it's 7500 so I can't imagine what he's thinking.

I mean if the soil looks okay nothing needs to be trucked in then I'm thinking at least 18 to 2100.
Posted via Mobile Device