Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

gas stations

how do some of you guys compare doing gas station without sand then with sand? less tire marks? less wear? this is with coal tar sealer also. I don't know about the previous owner of our business but since my dad bought it in 2005 we only did one gas station in 2007 or 2008. this weekend we did our second and what a pain in the butt it was. we added more additive then normal to help dry it faster. the guy doesn't even let it sit for 8hrs before opening and what a bunch of tire marks and a few spots wearing where people like to turn the wheels. so I was wondering if no sand is better for high traffic places? we've done a warehouse with no sand 1 coat and still looks great even with tractor trailers driving on it all the time. now I know it sat for 24hrs before opening so that could be the difference. but the next station we do they either need to shut down or leave the sections closed off for well over 12hrs but should we do it without sand and see the out come? or maybe with sand but keeping closed longer maybe have a better out come then what we did this weekend? just curious to see how other companies deal with this and what they think works best. my father says he'll never do gas stations again but the company says they got like 20 stations so if we can figure this out to make it look better and hopefully last longer then its worth the headache of dealing with people.
thanks for any input.

2004 dodge ram 2500 5.7 hemi flatbed, k&n intake, flowmaster exhaust, 8' fisher xblade, 1.5 yard poly saltdogg.
2002 gmc sierra 2500hd 6.0 vortec, 8' fisher hd, 2 yard poly saltdogg.
2003 ford f-450 6.0 powerstroke 2wd cab & chassis, 9' fisher hd, 4 yard downeaster, 500gal sealcoat tank.
16'' 5 ton utility trailer with 350gal sealcoat tank.
crack sealing machines and line stripers.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Keep the sand in maybe a little less lbs to gallon ratio. 1-1 1/2 lb to gallon. Then keep it closed longer during the day or do it late in the evining and open it in the am. Do half at a time one day and the other the next. The ones I do are done around 8 at night and open at 6. You can't help the marking or premature wearing when the sealer is not given time to cure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2014, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsealcoating View Post
Keep the sand in maybe a little less lbs to gallon ratio. 1-1 1/2 lb to gallon. Then keep it closed longer during the day or do it late in the evining and open it in the am. Do half at a time one day and the other the next. The ones I do are done around 8 at night and open at 6. You can't help the marking or premature wearing when the sealer is not given time to cure.
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks rich,
yea we'll probably cut back on the sand alil bit for these stations, we run 3lbs a gallon all season. we talked to the guy who works for the company that owns the station and property and also the owner of the store itself, we told them to figure out how much business they lost the few days we were there and compare that to just shutting down for 1 day (the least busiest day) and getting it done correctly, they both agreed that's probably the best thing to do. they were happy with the job and want to give us more. atleast they were happy, we wasn't. if they can shut down for a day and we go in at like 6am get it all done by 9 or 10 and let it sit till 5 or 6 the next morning, definitely be a lot better.

2004 dodge ram 2500 5.7 hemi flatbed, k&n intake, flowmaster exhaust, 8' fisher xblade, 1.5 yard poly saltdogg.
2002 gmc sierra 2500hd 6.0 vortec, 8' fisher hd, 2 yard poly saltdogg.
2003 ford f-450 6.0 powerstroke 2wd cab & chassis, 9' fisher hd, 4 yard downeaster, 500gal sealcoat tank.
16'' 5 ton utility trailer with 350gal sealcoat tank.
crack sealing machines and line stripers.