Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-22-2015, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken56 View Post
CJ, just went to your Facebook page but you still have the old company name. Did you decide to go with the Grounds Guys or did you decide not to?
Good observation. At the time I wrote the prior post I decided to go with Grounds Guys. Soon after, I spoke to a business consultant about my situation and changed my mind. I ended up hiring the business consultant instead. But I still have nothing but good things to say about Grounds Guys. I am just at the point in business where hiring a couple great people will solve my issues. It's just not for me at the time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2015, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Just got back from Texas Nothing but good to say about it. Signed up with the grounds guys today and ready to get started
after 25 years in business and stuck at a level of sales I just couldn't seem to get above for the last 4 years I think they have what ive been looking for. After weighing the cost of consultants advertising campaigns needing to revamp all my computers software building a new website etc etc which I was about to do on my own anyway this was a no brainer for me . it may not be for everyone and I'm sure some will say im crazy to buy a franchise but the time has come to change my life
Old 03-30-2015, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-vt lawnguy View Post
Just got back from Texas Nothing but good to say about it. Signed up with the grounds guys today and ready to get started
after 25 years in business and stuck at a level of sales I just couldn't seem to get above for the last 4 years I think they have what ive been looking for. After weighing the cost of consultants advertising campaigns needing to revamp all my computers software building a new website etc etc which I was about to do on my own anyway this was a no brainer for me . it may not be for everyone and I'm sure some will say im crazy to buy a franchise but the time has come to change my life
Congratulation and good luck!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I love seeing some good positive stuff about the Grounds Guys on here. Thanks Mike. I wanted to share a little on this thread about my experience as a Grounds Guys owner. I bought my Grounds Guys franchise about 7 months ago after trying my hand at the owner/operator set up for a year. I am so pumped to be part the Grounds Guys. With the support and training of the GG I have already passed my yearly goal in gross sales in 7 months. I have the ability and support to go after properties I never thought I could get last year. The systems and platform to grow would cost a fortune in "consultant fee's". Not to mention the vendor support is unreal. There are some negative comments on this thread and people are entitled to their opinions but if you ever want an informed opinion you can always email me or PM me. Dan
Old 04-30-2015, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Or email Me at tiperrin81@gmail.com
Old 05-14-2015, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I've been talking to a GG rep in Waco Texas.. They seem legit.. He has given me some owners numbers that were in my situation before they invested. I am looking forward to looking deeper into this. Any advice and help would be appreciated. My business normal brings in around 300,000 a year and that's with two employees. I just need a proven system to help me get over this threshold I am at. I make money and I have good accounts and equipment but I am wanting to grow. I have read every forum I can find about the grounds guys and I don't see anything as negative about them as I do usl. U.S. Lawns don't have the best name where I am from. It's probably just poor management .... I just spend so much advertising , and trying to promote my business and i must be doing something wrong! My business has been successful but I want to keep it that way. Any advice or help would be appreciated. My email is gmanuel1206@gmail if anyone would be willing to help out. Buying a franchise is a huge decision and I think there are pros and cons to learning the hard way verses a proven system and then if you buy a franchise you have fees. So I'm stuck ! I have plenty of equipment and nice trucks and two powerhouse employees but I am not satisfied and I want to grow and be somebody !! Franchise owners please jump in and let me know your experiences and what you would do different , or how the franchise has been valuable to your life and business. Thank you and any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys. I’m the owner of the Grounds Guys of Des Moines. We are located in Des Moines, Iowa. A little background on myself. I’m 32 years old. I started the business in April 2009 after I left the corporate world. I was an investment analyst for 4 years out of college. I started the business from in 2009 with a S10 blazer and a mower with no experience in the lawn care industry. I’ve grown $75,000 to $100,000 a year in gross sales year after year. We did $482,000 in gross sales in 2014. I joined the Grounds Guys in June of 2013.

You guys need to ask your self why you are in business on your own? Are you doing it as a hobby or are you trying to achieve something much greater and build a business that provides dividends year after year? The reason I own a business and am no longer working for someone else is because my ultimate goal is to build equity and an asset that provides passive cash flow down the road so I can have freedom to do what I want to do when I want to do it. Honestly that’s the reason I’m self employed. The only way to buy yourself that kind of freedom is through a turn key business and other investments. I started out as a one man operation with a mower. I’ve been fortunate enough in the last two years to step out of the labor and focus my time on managing the business.

The only way to build a turn key business is with proven systems in place. As an owner operator you have to work a rediculous amount of hours and you cap youself quickly. Yes you are self employeed but you are merely a technician that owns a job that you are tied to on a daily basis. The key to getting off the mower and building a solid business is with great employees and proven systems for managing the company.

I’ve been able to build a working schedule Monday through Friday 7 to 4 and take weekends off. My mentality is if I can’t figure out a way to get all my work done within 45 hours a week I’m doing something wrong.

The Grounds Guys has a great support network in place and is becoming a very reputable national landscape company. We are growing stronger by the day. The Grounds Guys is not for everybody. It takes the right mindset and values to join our company. It hasn’t been easy getting to where I’m at and I have a long way to go before I achieve my final goal! I’ve come to the realization that there is very rarely any gains in life without some pain that comes with it.

The bottom line is this. If you are wanting to build a great business that rewards you down the road with freedom and a return on your time and money I would seriously consider the Grounds Guys as a viable option for your future.

I will be happy to continue this discussion with you guys on this thread or via email, text or on the phone. I’ve included my contact information below. Best of luck to you all!

Corey Sedrel - President
The Grounds Guys of Des Moines
Office - 515.619.5540
Cell - 515.979.1454
Email - corey@lawntitans.com
Website - http://www.groundsguys.com/des-moines/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TheGroundsGuysOfDesMoines
Customer Testimonial Video - http://bit.ly/1FRqOI5
Old 05-16-2015, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGofDesMoines View Post
Hey guys. Iím the owner of the Grounds Guys of Des Moines. We are located in Des Moines, Iowa. A little background on myself. Iím 32 years old. I started the business in April 2009 after I left the corporate world. I was an investment analyst for 4 years out of college. I started the business from in 2009 with a S10 blazer and a mower with no experience in the lawn care industry. Iíve grown $75,000 to $100,000 a year in gross sales year after year. We did $482,000 in gross sales in 2014. I joined the Grounds Guys in June of 2013.

You guys need to ask your self why you are in business on your own? Are you doing it as a hobby or are you trying to achieve something much greater and build a business that provides dividends year after year? The reason I own a business and am no longer working for someone else is because my ultimate goal is to build equity and an asset that provides passive cash flow down the road so I can have freedom to do what I want to do when I want to do it. Honestly thatís the reason Iím self employed. The only way to buy yourself that kind of freedom is through a turn key business and other investments. I started out as a one man operation with a mower. Iíve been fortunate enough in the last two years to step out of the labor and focus my time on managing the business.

The only way to build a turn key business is with proven systems in place. As an owner operator you have to work a rediculous amount of hours and you cap youself quickly. Yes you are self employeed but you are merely a technician that owns a job that you are tied to on a daily basis. The key to getting off the mower and building a solid business is with great employees and proven systems for managing the company.

Iíve been able to build a working schedule Monday through Friday 7 to 4 and take weekends off. My mentality is if I canít figure out a way to get all my work done within 45 hours a week Iím doing something wrong.

The Grounds Guys has a great support network in place and is becoming a very reputable national landscape company. We are growing stronger by the day. The Grounds Guys is not for everybody. It takes the right mindset and values to join our company. It hasnít been easy getting to where Iím at and I have a long way to go before I achieve my final goal! Iíve come to the realization that there is very rarely any gains in life without some pain that comes with it.

The bottom line is this. If you are wanting to build a great business that rewards you down the road with freedom and a return on your time and money I would seriously consider the Grounds Guys as a viable option for your future.

I will be happy to continue this discussion with you guys on this thread or via email, text or on the phone. Iíve included my contact information below. Best of luck to you all!

Corey Sedrel - President
The Grounds Guys of Des Moines
Office - 515.619.5540
Cell - 515.979.1454
Email - corey@lawntitans.com
Website - http://www.groundsguys.com/des-moines/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/TheGroundsGuysOfDesMoines
Customer Testimonial Video - http://bit.ly/1FRqOI5
So, just looked at your FB page quickly and see your cover pics and coupons are geared towards residential services.

Any franchise that doesn't keep you out of residential mowing is just playing you for... Besides, what systems do you need that you have to pay for to perform residential services? If you're trying to build a long term successful management business, it won't be done doing residential accounts. Any franchise that tells you otherwise isn't in your corner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2015, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

We are currently a 50/50 company when it comes to the balance of residential vs. commercial accounts. I started the business with a walk behind mower and have transitioned into more commercial work as the business has grown. I would have gone broke had I tried to go after only commercial work in the beginning. I didn't have any experience with lawn care or owning a business before I started the business. We are picking up more and more commercial work every year as the business grows and we develop solid relationships with commercial owners and property managers.

It's really up to each franchise owner to determine the right mix of residential vs. commercial accounts. It is also up to each owner to determine what gross margins are acceptable for their particular business.

Do you want to run a small operation built around residential accounts and achieve higher gross margins or become a commercial business with higher sales and lower gross margins. It's up to each owner to determine the mix that works best for them in their particular market.

We will become more and more weighted on the commercials side as the business matures. It will just take time. You have to be careful with commercial and know how to bid the work to be profitable (where the Grounds Guys helps their franchisees). If you make a mistake on a residential account you can recover easily. If you bid a $60,000 maintenance account (mowing, bed maintenance, snow removal, chemicals, etc.) wrong you can dig yourself a hole that can possibly cripple your business.

It also takes experience to be able to bid multiple services to achieve the right overall gross margin you need to be profitable. This is where the Grounds Guys expertise and support network shines and comes into play.