Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2006, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where abouts in the cut are the streaks of uncut grass located?

60" XS... I'm gonna guess near the discharge?

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 06-01-2006, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

kurt,

Did you ever post a 'front-veiw' picture of yours?
I think I asked you to... or I meant to...

Anyways, I'm curious about the setup/layout of the deck and caster positions.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 06-01-2006, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One streak about 2" wide where the foot pedal is (right side), and the left blade leaves an overall rough cut. That's whats been happening on the 2 56" unit's I tried.

Sorry Envy, I'm waiting to get my digital camera back. The castor is too far over right to be making the streak, I already talked that over with the reps at exmark, and the anti-scalp wheel is too far left to be creating it. (this is happening even while going straight, it's not just a streaks when turning issue)
Old 06-02-2006, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2006
One streak about 2" wide where the foot pedal is (right side), and the left blade leaves an overall rough cut. That's whats been happening on the 2 56" unit's I tried.

Sorry Envy, I'm waiting to get my digital camera back. The castor is too far over right to be making the streak, I already talked that over with the reps at exmark, and the anti-scalp wheel is too far left to be creating it. (this is happening even while going straight, it's not just a streaks when turning issue)
Hummm....

So the one on the right side... I'm guessing blind here... would that put the streak in-line with the blade overlap area?
I'm guessing no... IN the left side of the discharge blade chamber instead (?)

Anyways... have you tried going AGAINST eXmark's deck rake recommendation?

If not... you really ought to grab a wrench in the morning and try DROPPING the rear of the deck to settle out the rake more towards level... maybe even try dead level or 1/16" rake. It's worth a shot to see if it improves any.

Sounds like a vaccuum/air flow/air disturbance issue to me.

I always start with level and rake first... and after I've moved in increments in a range I'm statisfied with... then I start looking for real physical problems.

I can help you check accurately for physical manufacturing and/or part/material tolerance issues too if it's not a rake issue. In other words I can help you rule things out until there is nothing left but the basic deck design and blade speed.

Maybe eXmark just didn't get this design tuned just right... as it's beginning to appear that way in a sense... but let's be the last to jump to conclusions like that.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The cut seemed to get better when I went from 1/8" to 1/4" rake, but I could try leveling the deck out. I don't have any mowing to do until saturday so I'll have to wait.

I'm not sure if the streak is where the overlap is, I didn't get to really check that. I too think it's a turbulence issue though. Considering the farthest chamber from the discharge is giving the worst part of the cut, that tells me something air flow wise is not right. The cut seemed to be better with the super high lifts when they were sharp, but as the reps have said, the super high lifts create way too much vacuum and it sandblasts the blades from soil particles that it picks up.

Blade speed/turbulence is what I think the problem is. I just spent a bunch of money to be a ginnie pig and do someone elses job on trouble shooting this all! Great!
Old 06-02-2006, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well... I have more personal experience with deck troubleshooting that I care to have.

Screw being the guinea pig...
I think I can help you put this thing to bed pretty quick.
And I don't care what name is on it, quick is the key word.

We should talk outside of here and I can better help you go through the elimination check list, and if you don't find the problem in an adjustment you can make, or an out of spec tolerance... then it's no longer your problem to figure out.

If it's an adjustment, you can fix that...
If it's a manufacturing tolerance, they can warranty that...
And if it's a design issue, maybe they can put you on a 52" or 60" UltraCut machine while they go back to R&D to figure that one out...

I wouldn't eXpect any less from eXmark.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furg21
right from the get go my exmark has been leaving streaks of grass uncut... is anyone else having or had this problem?
Hustler has had the same type of problem with their 60" XR-7 deck and their engineers jump right on top of it and came up with a solution, they installed a triangle type wedge and changed the air flow and from what their customers have said is that it completely solved the problem.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Envy, sending you a pm about the deck.

I wish I would of looked at the lesco's before I bought my mower. The more I think about it the more I realize I do most work on my equipment anyway, the only way I'll take the mower to the dealer is if it's something big so the lack of mechanics at the lesco store shouldn't have bothered me.

I was looking at a ztwo today, 54 and 60". The only thing I didn't like on them (aside from being ugly but who cares) is the lower HP. The 60 with the 25 seems scetchy but I keep up on my accounts so I wouldn't need stupid amounts of power. I liked how they have 75% of the weight over the rear tires, they seem lighter weight at what 1050 for a 60", the front articulating axle seems like a nice feature and heck at 6500 you can't beat it. I saw the manager out one day mowing his place with their demo unit and it did a great job from what I saw. Kicking myself right now