Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2014, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

On the contracting side of my business all I do is hydroseeding. My worst would be a customer I quoted who called when I had so much work I could not do it in his time frame so I subbed it out to someone else to keep him happy. Of course the lawn didn't come in since it was mid summer and he didn't water. He called the guy I subbed it out to but the sub would not return his calls. So then he started calling me. I agreed to do it for half price and he argued I should do it for free. He finally agreed to half price and I went out and seeded the lawn. Although he had been home he conveniently disappeared when I finished and went to collect. Never did get paid for that but that's life and at least this time the lawn came in beautifully.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

what i can think off hand is irrigation.

I rarely win irrigation bids…but I always do repairs, upgrades and redos.

I have so many stories it's ridiculous.

one i can recall off hand is a company did an HOA irrigation install, they used tap saddles, which is OK, but has the draw back of being a partial pipe obstruction by design… then they didn't clear the pipe of any debris before they made the taps…so EVERY head had to be dug up and the saddles cut out, reinstalled with 1" t's because every junction of every saddle for every head was jammed up full of debris… had they used T's… I could have just pulled the heads off and blew lines out….might have cost….$500?

It ended up costing $2000 to redo all the connections and clean out the pipe…. $200 of that was troubleshooting and scratching my head with the WTF look on my face until I reconstructed in my mind what they had done wrong….then it was just time and material.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do a fair bit of repairs. But worst ever was to redo a sod job. We pulled and stacked on pallets about 5k sqft of sod then regraded,prepped smoothed and relayed. I. Addition to another 10k sqft if sod.
It looked like they put the finish grade with a dozer during a rain storm and called it good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Around here its the sealcoating and roofing gypsies you always hear about. Plenty of lawn hacks too with Home Depot salespaper designs.
Posted via Mobile Device
A lot of those types in our area. One showed up at my house while I was out in the yard and wanted to overlay my driveway. I told him no, he kept pressing to do the work. I told him I would go get money. (Thats the name of my german shepard) Once he saw money he took off
Old 02-16-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
what i can think off hand is irrigation.

I rarely win irrigation bids…but I always do repairs, upgrades and redos.

I have so many stories it's ridiculous.

one i can recall off hand is a company did an HOA irrigation install, they used tap saddles, which is OK, but has the draw back of being a partial pipe obstruction by design… then they didn't clear the pipe of any debris before they made the taps…so EVERY head had to be dug up and the saddles cut out, reinstalled with 1" t's because every junction of every saddle for every head was jammed up full of debris… had they used T's… I could have just pulled the heads off and blew lines out….might have cost….$500?

It ended up costing $2000 to redo all the connections and clean out the pipe…. $200 of that was troubleshooting and scratching my head with the WTF look on my face until I reconstructed in my mind what they had done wrong….then it was just time and material.
Ditto on the irrigation. What kind of saddles are you speaking of? The kind tha self tap or you use a drill, brand?
Old 03-04-2014, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hardscape repairs can be endless
Old 03-04-2014, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's the pics of the wall I personally re-did. Had to customize the block to get everything back in shape for sale.

Was a foreclosure, did the work through fanny may.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.