Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2014, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quit full time job for full time lawn business

I currently make around 58k annually with the job alone, I dont hate my job, but i was just thinking I could make more money in the landscaping business. I cut grass part time on the side, just to earn some extra cash. Last year i made 11,000 after subtracting just gas oil and equipment maintenance.

Im 25 and dont have any wife or kids, and have been throwing around the idea of going full time in the lawn business. I honestly love cutting yards with the occasional landscaping work. I know at first I wont be making near what i am now, but im thinking with a lot of hard work i could surpass what i was making in just 3 or 4 years.

Would I be an idiot to do this, or Is this just some to good to be true dream of mine?
Old 01-22-2014, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you we're say 37-51 and you had a gravy retirement plan and didn't hate your job I'd say no way. Retire early from the other job and work this half time and enjoy life and learn to live on less.

Since your 25 you can take more risks. Problem is once you start hiring people you're are now in the employee business.

I'm assuming you current job has benefits, medical coverage and sick days, personal days etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2014, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would continue working while building your business. That 58k you make now could go a long way towards buying equipment and advertising. Maybe spend a year or two building, then go full time when you have about 40 hours a week of lawn work lined up and a full line of good equipment. Then again making 58k at 25 would be hard to walk away from lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2014, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would ride that double dip, and insurance, as long as you can. When you grow the lawn business to the point that you have to make a decision, that might be your best exit point. Right now, it's assumed you get insurance and paid vacation. This doesn't just come with the lawn care jump, so you need to do the "real" math.

You don't mention what you do, but is $58k anywhere near that position's/career path's earning potential ceiling?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't mind the 58k job I stick with what your currently doing.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I left my job a little over a year ago to do this, haven't looked back. It was hard with a family and being a little older. I always wished i would have stuck it out the first time when i was in my mid 20's.If your current job allows you the time to manage both I would ride it out doing both as long as you can to make the transition easier, and to have more money saved when you finally do quit. I had about a years salary saved as well as a wife that worked, and no debts besides a small mortgage payment. I tried to stick it out and do both the first year but there was to much mandatory overtime to make it work though, i would have loved to be able to do both and save up all that money in the bank.

Servicing Dallas, Acworth, Kennesaw, & Woodstock, Ga
Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did the same thing. Don't look back, only look forward.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

I myself have rode both sides as long as I could.Now that I have more work than I can almost handle I had to make a decision and March 27 will be my last day at my full time job.
Im sure it will be tough at first but I will make a go of it and whatever choice you make you will do fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2014, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I see one reason listed in your intial post, "love cutting grass." That is not a good reason to start your own business in this industry. Yes, it is important, but, if your desire only goes this far, then you need to work with somebody else.

I see nothing in your post that indicates you wish to be a business owner. And, I see nothing about wanting a business that centers itself around service, and more specifically, customers that are residential homeowners (or small businesses themselves).

While it is great to want to be productive cutting grass and doing some landscaping, these alone will not make for a successful business plan.

As others have suggested, keep your job, until you know that you want to be a business owner. That may come to reality at some time. At that time, you may wish to consider the wide choices for a business owner -- products vs. service, customer type, marketplacel position, potential, niche, etc. Remember, cutting grass and spreading mulch is easy entry, very low cost, and needs no training or education. The field of those matching this description is well populated.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

$58k is alot of money for someone your age. I would keep that job and hire some help for a couple nights a week and on saturdays. You will be able to take on 1.5 to 2 times as much work this way. This will help you grow the business to a level it would be a little more comfortable to quit that job. Maybe you could get the lawn business up to $30k or so before quitting the job.