Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2014, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Mower

Really oh crap! Like I said I get huge piles of stuff left over from discharging the thick stuff. Does this mean that I am cutting the stuff from 2 weeks prior really? Jees, new engine, no pitch on the deck and mowing the same crap twice no kidding!
Old 05-03-2014, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Mower

Here is the real question.... I try to mow at 2 and 1/4 because I can only realistically get out there once every 2 weeks due to the chronically wet areas..
If I mow after rain fall the tractor can either make divots or get stuck (I have nothing to pull it out with either). Do you think if I change from 2 to 3 inches that it will get too out of control on me for the next time I mow? I wish I could mow every week but unless it stays dry this machine is too heavy for the wet areas!
Old 05-03-2014, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnicholsjr View Post
Really oh crap! Like I said I get huge piles of stuff left over from discharging the thick stuff. Does this mean that I am cutting the stuff from 2 weeks prior really? Jees, new engine, no pitch on the deck and mowing the same crap twice no kidding!
then to add to it your jd didn't have the lift your gh does, so you should lots of brown dead clippings surface when you mow that low. ya you keep mowing all the clippings you mowed before until they are dust.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnicholsjr View Post
Here is the real question.... I try to mow at 2 and 1/4 because I can only realistically get out there once every 2 weeks due to the chronically wet areas..
If I mow after rain fall the tractor can either make divots or get stuck (I have nothing to pull it out with either). Do you think if I change from 2 to 3 inches that it will get too out of control on me for the next time I mow? I wish I could mow every week but unless it stays dry this machine is too heavy for the wet areas!
in my experience grass will shoot up to 7-8 inches high and kind of slow down. also the longer the grass the better is absorbs the water because it has a deeper root.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Smile Mower

yea your right I will go with 3 inches.. you know what I NEVER see brown grass. My land is old farm land.. The soil is sandy but heavily manured from ages of farming. When they dug my foundation in 2010 all you smelled was cow dung for a 1/4 mile depending on wind! Even if it starts to become sparse in spots that are not as wet, as soon as heavy rain comes it comes right back! I wonder why I seed when I put new dirt in. Either way I will change to 3", with the deck pitched and the tension on the main drive belt fixed I think we have a recipe for success. I am hoping to mow this upcoming weekend and if I can I will report in on the result.. Thank you for the schooling guys!
Old 05-03-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The deck pitch is really important. When cutting with no pitch, the blades, When in position at rear of deck, a dragging across the tops of the grass they just cut, thus eating power.