Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2012, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Tracking Time Motion

So after doing a lot of reading, I've realized how important Time Motion is to our industry. I've designed a template that lists client, weather conditions, total time on job, time spent weed eating, time spent trimming bushes, time spent spraying/pulling weeds.

My question is, am I being too detailed or not detailed enough??

Also whats the most effective way yall have found to save this data?? I've been looking into creating a database in Access. Anybody had any good luck this way?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your over thinking this.

As you do your work you look for ways to avoid taking extra steps, motion, anything that wastes time. Such as excessive record keeping.

I use a stick edger then go to a line trimmer. One day I realized that if I started at right of the driveway and walked the property perimeter in a CCW direction with the line trimmer. I found that I wound up on the left side of the drive way. Then go up the driveway and around the house in a CCW direction and would wind up where I started at the Right side of the driveway where I started from.

I eliminated all back tracking. Which saves time. All done without an excel spread sheet.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt25738 View Post
So after doing a lot of reading, I've realized how important Time Motion is to our industry. I've designed a template that lists client, weather conditions, total time on job, time spent weed eating, time spent trimming bushes, time spent spraying/pulling weeds.

Also whats the most effective way yall have found to save this data?? I've been looking into creating a database in Access. Anybody had any good luck this way?
Spreadsheet, and you are not over thinking. You need a qty of some thing you are tracking time for. Simply time and task are not enough info. Once you get the data, use it and don't continue to accumulate it.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Smartphone is the way to go

I am using an Android Smartphone with an app called Time Recorder Pro which allows me to set up customers, rates, categories of data collected. It allows the exporting of that data into a .csv file to dropbox.com or to an email. It also allows the timesheet to be synced with a google calendar.

Worth the 2-5 bucks I paid for it.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt25738 View Post

gI was thinking of the same thing a while ago... I would love to see how to setup a spreadsheet like.. If someone could drop me an e-mail "creativecurbappealinc@yahoo.com" of this that of spreadsheet... I will B so grateful....