Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2006, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I plan on starting our Part time, my current employer I work 7:00 - 5:30 everyday but sun, so it will be difficult
Old 07-17-2006, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

WOW $800 a week needed to live.
Here's how I see it-- You do not have the equipment to do that much work and if you want a 12-16' trailer with a Z and full load your truck is almost maxed out too.
So to get where you want to be you have to start from the beginning. At zero.
When you are up and going your labor rate will be about 30% of income. But at the start you will be putting a lot more time and money into building the business, Both customers and equipment.
If you plan on doing this full time I would want around 6 months to a years money in the bank to live on. (at least you have year round work)
You can start with what you have but it will not last too long so hold most of your money out for new equipment, and stay out of Sears.

Now the money-- Again figure about 30% for labor (your pay) so at 800 figure around 24-2500 per week of income / your 35= around 70 accounts or 14 a day. with proper equipment not to hard to do (but in the FLA heat!!!) so maybe around a 50 - 60 hour week of billable work. Add to that about 15% for maintenance and about 5% for office non billable (work that you have to do but do not generate income from) so around another 12 hours. Total around 70-75 hours a week. It will probably take around 2-3 years to build to this point since you are starting with nothing but by than I believe it will be easy for you to bring in the $12.00 a hour that your shooting for.

Remember this, Nothing you use in your business is "paid for" It can only be paid for from the income it generates- When guys here say the words "paid for" all they are really saying is "a different way to deal with the finances". You can give the money before you use it-- as you use it-- or after you use it (READ REPLACE THE THING WHEN IT WEARS OUT) but you still have to pay for it from your business-- Unless you steal it?????

Good luck with your plans and happy mowing