Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-08-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrock Lawns View Post
I bought an enclosed this spring and used it for about 5 ish months my original intentions were to use it as a Mobil shop keep everything I need ect , I ended up switching back to open for my operation because I was doing 8-20 lawns a day and it slowed me down and I just found myself throwing weedwackers and blowers in the back of the truck more so then not. Plus manoberbility was a problem at some of my property's on dead end streets with no turning space, plus the Mobile shop dident end up working out as everytime I needed something I'd have to climb over mowers ect, It was an 16+2 v nose and I was still
Only getting around 8-10 mpg with an 2013 chevy 2500, now that I switched to open my gas bills almost 300 dollars less a month. In the big picture If your just doing mow blow and go opens the way to go if your doing 1-2 big commercial property's a day or high end full maint resi I'd go with enclosed, ill problay pick up another enclosed this spring as I will problay have to split into 2 crews due to work load. And use the crew with the large enclosed for commercial property's and full maint resi where we take care of everything .
Posted via Mobile Device

Spot on post.

Here some negatives of enclosed trailers after just using it a few times for primarily mowing.

1. Fueling up equipment
2. Gas mileage
3. Going back in forth inside to get things. Much faster just
to grab stuff off of the racks of the open
4. More expensive to maintain
5. Parking and backing up
6. Floor space is tight

A couple positives

1. Rolling billboard if lettered up
2. No unloading every night

The security issue for open vs enclosed is a wash. Out in the field an enclosed definitely makes equipment more secure. But during non work hours I like my equipment being in my garage. I live in a very safe area but like my stufff in the shop. My shop is windowless with one steel man door with deadbolt and padlock and an overhead door with opener and locks. You would need to cut a hole in the wall to get in. It is also partially heated so my stuff is not sitting in sub zero temps. I feel someone could get into my trailer easier than my shop.
Posted via Mobile Device