Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2014, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Lol yes we have walmarts. But i don't do lawn care, just installs. The specifics of getting all the other stuff is out of my scope.
Posted via Mobile Device
There is a Walmart in NYC, not talking about Long Island? I was referring to the city. If I remember right Long Island is just suburbs and farm land.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your rendition of long island is just like your skydiving experience i assume...
Old 02-09-2014, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Your rendition of long island is just like your skydiving experience i assume...
I've been out there a few times, not my kind of place to be. Too much traffic, people, taxes and rules for me. I like the simplicity of TN.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck with this, none of us really have enough info to give you specific advice, but here is mine.

With employees, I'd have to bet that there is a corporation in place, are you buying it? All of the licenses and permits should be in the corporate name. The current owner should have a system in place to keep up with all of this.

I'd never buy a business with a written agreement that you had to retain employees for six years. I'd put them all on a performance pay system real quick. There is not any employee alive that you can offer a deal like that in this industry. They'd slow down to 1/2 speed knowing they are getting a pay check.

If you are a small town Christian from middle TN. Be prepared to hear an F-bomb in every sentence, it is not meant to degrade you, just the way the blue collar workers talk. Go to a Yankees game and sit in the RF bleachers, if they still have that in the new stadium. You and the wife wear Redsox clothing, if you survive, you are ready to manage NYC laborers. Have broad shoulders, they will pick on a TN boy like you are fresh meat, just go with it. Remind them with a smile on your face "That the war of northern aggression is not yet over".

Do you have the capital to replace the warn out equipment? Sounds like the capital equipment needs replaced, so you are really only purchasing the accounts.

Your customers will be busy and rarely make small talk. Be to the point and thank them for the time. Don't be offended if conversations are short, its just the way of things. Don't bring to much of your red-state politics into any conversation.

This sounds like a great opportunity, just make sure you are prepared as stated above, cost of living will be far greater.
Snapper 21"
Toro Dingo 222
ISEKI Diesel Compact Tractor, attachments (bush hog, middle buster plow & land leveler
Steiner all wheel drive Tractor, attachments (stump grinder, rough cut mower, scrape blade & dual wheels)
5X10 open trailer
16' equipment trailer
1997 Ford F-350 7.3 4X4 SRW Crew Cab 8' bed
Old 02-23-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Any news on this? I am somewhat stressed about expanding my service area 45 miles one way, I'd lose sleep every night over this deal.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 02-24-2014, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am just waiting on the weather, as stated my bro will help run it up there.

I am just glad it's family, heck of an opportunity. I am just stepping In as owner and then once I am comfortable walking the streets I will try that. I hope within a year I feel acclimated to the new area and have found myself in the big area.
My wife handles most of that location as its her family.
Her rules lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehitchman View Post
Good luck with this, none of us really have enough info to give you specific advice, but here is mine.

With employees, I'd have to bet that there is a corporation in place, are you buying it? All of the licenses and permits should be in the corporate name. The current owner should have a system in place to keep up with all of this.

+++++
He does have it all in place, just unsure how hard it is to keep it in place.
+++++
I'd never buy a business with a written agreement that you had to retain employees for six years. I'd put them all on a performance pay system real quick. There is not any employee alive that you can offer a deal like that in this industry. They'd slow down to 1/2 speed knowing they are getting a pay check.

+++++
I understand that fully, that is the exact reason he did it,
He knows it's a successful business model and he said its hard to keep good dependable guys so he worked hard to keep them, he ain't running out on them.
The safety I have in this is none of the crew actually knows this is in place , just been mentioned to them in passing.
+++++

If you are a small town Christian from middle TN. Be prepared to hear an F-bomb in every sentence, it is not meant to degrade you, just the way the blue collar workers talk. Go to a Yankees game and sit in the RF bleachers, if they still have that in the new stadium. You and the wife wear Redsox clothing, if you survive, you are ready to manage NYC
laborers.

+++++
I seen this exact stuff...... And a woman offer sex to pay the balance of 2 cases of beer after the cash wasn't
Enough.WHAT LOL
+++++

Have broad shoulders, they will pick on a TN boy like you are fresh meat, just go with it. Remind them with a smile on your face "That the war of northern aggression is not yet over".

Do you have the capital to replace the warn out equipment? Sounds like the capital equipment needs replaced, so you are really only purchasing the accounts.

+++++
It is all small equipment cost, when compaired to a full price machine. It won't be cheap as in 3 years the trucks
Will be cycled as well.
+++++

Your customers will be busy and rarely make small talk. Be to the point and thank them for the time. Don't be offended if conversations are short, its just the way of things. Don't bring to much of your red-state politics into any conversation.

This sounds like a great opportunity, just make sure you are prepared as stated above, cost of living will be far greater.

+++++
Yes it is, I will have a dungeon to stay in..... Wife's mother for a year, just not sure if I will make it in her basement.
+++++

Posted via Mobile Device