Go Back   LawnSite.com™ - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Gravely
User Name
Password
Home Gravely.com Parts Find a Dealer About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2015, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Gravely Help.....

Small commercial owner here just outside of Myrtle Beach SC. Decided after much study and deliberation to add a "red" mower to the setup instead of another "orange" one. Bought new Pro Turn 252 xdz a few weeks back. Excited to say the least, and cant wait to actually mow grass with it. Loaded it up and took it to my shop yesterday to set the deck pitch, height, etc. (level left to right at bladed tips sideways, 1/4 inch high in rear at blade tips with blades forward, with front of blade height matched to cut height pin selection). Heres where problems occurred. We have one acct that likes 4" cut. Well, we tried to set up for 4". We barely got it with 4" at front tip of blade and 4 1/8 at rear of blade(Wanted 4 1/4). Problem is the deck wont stow. The lock wont catch in either adjustment slot because the deck now hits the frame before coming far enough up for the lock to catch. Contacted dealer and spoke in detail to service dept. He understood and told me the pin indicator height inch marks arent necessarily inch marks, but reference points.(It has inch marks on it, and it would be nice to be cutting at same height as pin indicates) He suggested that i lower the deck height adjustment bolts down to a measurement I can remember. For example: If I have the height selector on 4", the cut will actually be 3" so the deck will come far enough up to lock. I understand what he is saying perfectly. My problem is i cannot get 4 " cut height out of this deck AND have it work as it should as far as stow, and having a full 4 1/4" at rear of blades. Pulled shop foreman in and we studied it, worked with it for 3ish hours, and came to some more odd conclusions. We followed service guys suggestion and set 4" pin dial height but set front blade tip at 3 1/4(to allow the deck to come high enough for deck lock to work). All is good so far. 3 1/4 at front tip, 3 1/2 at rear tip with driver in seat. Now, with all hardware tightened back and all chains tight with no slack corners, we wanted to check our lower cutting heights for centipede. set height pin at 2 1/2"( understanding the blade tip should be at 1 3/4 ). We got another surprise. As the deck travels farther down from where we did our adjustments(at 4" pin with 3 1/4 blade), the front/back pitch stays pretty close with 1/4" high at rear of blade tip, but the height doesnt stay the same from left front tip to right front tip. Actual measurment of blade tip with pin at 2 1/2 was 1 3/4 on one side and 1 3/8 on the other with blades forward. thats just shy of 1/2" height difference from front left blade tip to front right blade tip. We stopped, studied, looked. reset pin back to 4 " and remeasured. Measurments were right back where we set them. Discovery? We ASSUME that because of the difference in the deck mounting hardware( deck height adjustment pin/ stow lock mechanism on right side, and solid bar mount on left) the deck doesnt lower the same amt on each side the farther we go down. We verified this at a couple different settings. The farther down we go, the bigger the height difference between left front blade tip and right front blade tip. Conclusion at this point and its where I quit because i was tired of messing with it- Problem 1) If i adjust the deck to get a true 4 " cut, I cant get the 1/4 inch high in rear setup and deck lock doesnt catch because deck is hitting the frame before it gets high enough for lock to work. Problem2) As I lower the deck to centipede settings for 1 1/2" - 2" height, the deck travels downward more on one side than the other by 3/8" at front blade tips. Note- through the adjusting and setting, all hardware was loosened to allow free movement, and then re tightened. All chains are "hanging" with no slack or "floating corners". I need help. The grass is greening up and I am not confident in what I found yesterday with this mower deck when it comes to changing cut heights. Would you , Gravely Commercial, please help me? Contact info - ShaneArd45@gmail.com. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 2 pro stance 36 inch mowers. they working great. Actually trying to sell one of them to upgrade to a bigger one, only has 49.3 hours..wanted to trade, but my dealer doesn't want to take trade. You should talk to them, because the Ferris dealer will trade LOL
Old 03-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Sponsor

Gravely Pro-Turn 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea71 View Post
Small commercial owner here just outside of Myrtle Beach SC. Decided after much study and deliberation to add a "red" mower to the setup instead of another "orange" one. Bought new Pro Turn 252 xdz a few weeks back. Excited to say the least, and cant wait to actually mow grass with it. Loaded it up and took it to my shop yesterday to set the deck pitch, height, etc. (level left to right at bladed tips sideways, 1/4 inch high in rear at blade tips with blades forward, with front of blade height matched to cut height pin selection). . . . I need help. The grass is greening up and I am not confident in what I found yesterday with this mower deck when it comes to changing cut heights. Would you , Gravely Commercial, please help me? Contact info - ShaneArd45@gmail.com. Thanks in advance.
Shane -

Again, we are sorry this happened but want to reassure you that I will help get this resolved. Our Tech Service group is great and has a handle on this issue (as you know), and I am working as well to get you connected to the right people. I've enjoyed getting to know you through the process, however, and we'll talk again tomorrow

Mary Lyn

Gravely Power Equipment - Commercial Duty Tough

New Atlas JSV - Jobsite Vehicle

Zero Turn Mowers

Stand On Mowers

Walk Behind Mowers
Old 03-26-2015, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravely Commercial View Post
Shane -

Again, we are sorry this happened but want to reassure you that I will help get this resolved. Our Tech Service group is great and has a handle on this issue (as you know), and I am working as well to get you connected to the right people. I've enjoyed getting to know you through the process, however, and we'll talk again tomorrow

Mary Lyn
Thanks a TON Mary Lyn for your outstanding efforts and keeping Good and True customer service alive and well! You have gone above and beyond for sure. Seems to be a lost art in this day and time. I am very confident after communicating with your Tech Service Group that my issue will be resolved once the kit arrives at the dealer. You, Tyler, and Stan are without a doubt very valuable assets to Gravely, and I hope Gravely Commercial knows how lucky they are! Looking forward to putting this machine to work and seeing for myself what all the hype over Gravely is about. There's "Red on the trailer!!"