Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2014, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post
One thing I always agree with is never telling your straight up hourly. People will have a heart attack unless they own a small business
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly. No good way to come up with a hourly rate for all work either.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Been away for a while. Lot of things going on with family. Thanks for all the advice I need all I can get. As my original post stated that 'I left my brain at the curb'. I underestimated (by far) how long it would take me to rake leaves into a tarp and disperse throughout the yard into flower/plant beds. When I finished the job I knew I should have charged 300. I made $20/hr that day (whopping $100) and my customer got a heck of a deal. Live and learn. I did that day.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you bag the leaves, you could charge by the bag. I don't like to tell customers an hourly rate either, because they usually don't understand how much my costs are, and they don't know how long I will take to finish. But it's still hard for me to estimate leaves. In my area the city will pick up paper bags of leaves on the curb. So I tried charging $5 per bag (based on advice). I did a small job and I don't think I made enough charging $5. But I still like the concept.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 05-08-2014, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumba View Post
Been away for a while. Lot of things going on with family. Thanks for all the advice I need all I can get. As my original post stated that 'I left my brain at the curb'. I underestimated (by far) how long it would take me to rake leaves into a tarp and disperse throughout the yard into flower/plant beds. When I finished the job I knew I should have charged 300. I made $20/hr that day (whopping $100) and my customer got a heck of a deal. Live and learn. I did that day.
Are you saying you gathered up the leaves and then put them into the flower beds? My other question is, why are you actually raking leaves? Blow them into a pile then onto a tarp anddrag them to the truck/trailer. It would cut your time by a huge amount.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What's this "rake" thing people keep talking about?

No, but seriously, you have to look at it this way (well, you don't have to, but it might help): You didn't underbid, you under-equipped yourself. Your customer didn't get a deal, you screwed yourself by not doing the job efficiently.

I know it might be difficult, but when you spend the money on a brand new, powerful (Redmax 8050 in my opinion, I know others will differ) backpack blower, you'll be saving yourself time, and time is money. For 3 months, I hand swept sidewalks and driveways until I could afford a blower. It took longer, but my customers weren't getting a deal. I was screwing myself.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy;5031e39
What's this "rake" thing people keep talking about?

Nom seriously, you have to look at it this way (well, you don't have to, but it might help): You didn't underbid, you under-equipped yourself. Your customer didn't get a deal, you screwed yourself by not doing the job efficiently.

I know it might be difficult, but when you spend the money on a brand new, powerful (Redmax 8050 in my opinion, I know others will differ) backpack blower, you'll be saving yourself time, and time is money. For 3 months, I hand swept sidewalks and driveways until I could afford a blower. It took longer, but my customers weren't getting a deal. I was screwing myself.
This. I have a rake on my trailer. Its from the early 90s (guessing) as it came with my house when I bought it. Found it in the shed along with other misc garden tools. I have used it twice, but I cant get myself to leave it behind, or buy a new one. OP, I get the feeling you didnt under bid the job, rather you did the job as a homeowner would on a lazy spring day instead of as efficiently as possible as a professional should. You screwed yourself. The customer didnt get a deal, they got what they paid for, you just did wrong and lost money in the process.

Remember, we dont buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment cause we like equipment (ok, maybe not entirely true) we buy high end equipment to be more efficient, which in turn allows us to do more jobs and make more money.

Can you give us the specific details of job this thread is related to and what your exact method of completing it was? This may be more useful to you than anything else.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is all this rake hate going on?!?

Yes, I have powerful backpack blowers.

I also have a Walker MT 26GHS that I use in conjunction with the Walker De-Thatcher attachment.

Do you know what the Walker De-Thatcher attachment does?

It is basically like an Army of 20 men in a line hand raking a property.

ANYWAY.........

Even with all of those tools, I still break out the spring rakes and leaf rakes ALL the time!

Of course I wouldn't hand rake a whole property but there are most certainly spots that need to be raked here and there....

It's also psychological..... Clients of an older generation like to see a young man on their property raking....

Don't dis the rakes guys......
Old 05-09-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, I'm a rabid anti-rakeite

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts