Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Id strongly suggest you analyze each service separately. Doing it as you are now with maintenance encompassing so many services will distort the true profitability of each service. Let everything stand on its own and you will see real winners and loosers, at least we did.
Posted via Mobile Device
I break everything down in much more detail but for a quick look it works for me. I break it into those 4 because each of them has it's own group of costs. Besides the snow that over laps and 1 or 2 trucks.
This year we backed out of landscaping and now sub contract all the installs. At the end of the day the time and money invested was not worth the return. So the option was to go bigger with it or sub contract it. We chose sub it to simplify things. Sometimes you don't want to believe the numbers but at the end of the day they don't lie.
We also break down maint. customers and snow into spread sheets showing total or average hours spent on sites and relate that to amounts billed giving us hourly rates made. We then adjust or drop accounts as needed to stay where we need to be.