Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2013, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are only going to do ten yards, go rent a tow behind. They are a lot cheaper to rent than the walk behinds because they don't have a motor, and the rentals are heavy duty machines. They use five gallon water jugs as weight which stay in place with a bungee cord. I aerate at 9mph when the soil is moist and it does a decent job, but by no means as good as a walk behind.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
If you are only going to do ten yards, go rent a tow behind. They are a lot cheaper to rent than the walk behinds because they don't have a motor, and the rentals are heavy duty machines. They use five gallon water jugs as weight which stay in place with a bungee cord. I aerate at 9mph when the soil is moist and it does a decent job, but by no means as good as a walk behind.
IMO the only area that WB aerators have anything on tow behind units is in not double plugging in tight corners/areas which makes the soil too loose many times. There are some great tow behind units that are extremely heavy duty as well as some excellent 3 pt mounted units that plug deep, cover wide paths in one pass, and do an excellent job overall on larger areas.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
IMO the only area that WB aerators have anything on tow behind units is in not double plugging in tight corners/areas which makes the soil too loose many times. There are some great tow behind units that are extremely heavy duty as well as some excellent 3 pt mounted units that plug deep, cover wide paths in one pass, and do an excellent job overall on larger areas.
This is the tow behind I rent. It goes for about $39 for a half day.

http://www.mowersdirect.com/Husqvarn...-36/p7935.html
Old 09-03-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
This is the tow behind I rent. It goes for about $39 for a half day.

http://www.mowersdirect.com/Husqvarn...-36/p7935.html
That is one of the heavier duty tow units I was talking about. They do a great job with the proper weight. The one I use is like PSC's, but mine is wider and has a lot more spoons. It has been a great unit so far. I have yet to replace any spoons, which surprises me considering the roots it has had to go over at times with that much weight on it.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Your sentence right before the one in bold is what I meant about hitting shallow roots at faster speeds. Rarely does more than one tine/spoon per spider hit a root at the same time to help spread the load, thus you end up with damaged spoons as you stated.
Sorry about my brain cramp, somehow I was thinking grass roots and, of course, that did not make any sense. As I reread, your comment regarding roots was perfectly clear. Only a knuckle head such as myself would not see that you meant tree roots. A big hard tree root is just about as bad as a big rock.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee003 View Post
Sorry about my brain cramp, somehow I was thinking grass roots and, of course, that did not make any sense. As I reread, your comment regarding roots was perfectly clear. Only a knuckle head such as myself would not see that you meant tree roots. A big hard tree root is just about as bad as a big rock.
Been there, done that