Register free!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got a call yesterday morning from a long time customer that wanted to restart service. He had his son home from school and doing it during the holidays (first grrrr!) Then asks can I come by today (Sunday) as he is having a party (2nd grrrr!). Said he will pay for this and next month (okay, better). I get there and am greeted by the neon green field of death, Annual Rye 3" high. He must have used a broadcast spreader. It is everywhere, in the beds, up the tree trunks, in the gravel, its even growing in his coconut doormat (steam out the ears time). I knocked on the door and said why, why, why did you do this? I cannot and will not clean this up today. He had a fine, normal looking SA yard, but wanted this "beautiful, bright green". He couldn't understand what the problem was. I told him I need to clean the beds, remulch and spray a lot of gly, then hope the SA doesn't suffer from smother and nutrient loss. I hope this isn't indicative of the upcoming season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2014, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I only do fert and squirt, so I see a lot of other "professionals" work.

We have a lot of hacks in our area that are paid "by the cut". So, they go around every other week "cutting grass". When in reality they are just having to lower the deck little by little each time to get that "fresh mown look".

Or they keep lowering their decks to mulch up leaves.

I did run across a service the other day who had their crew blowing the leaves into the driveway, then a crewmember would suck them up with a Billygoat. I gave em the thumbs up. Not hacks.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTPTURF View Post
I only do fert and squirt, so I see a lot of other "professionals" work.

We have a lot of hacks in our area that are paid "by the cut". So, they go around every other week "cutting grass". When in reality they are just having to lower the deck little by little each time to get that "fresh mown look".

Or they keep lowering their decks to mulch up leaves.

I did run across a service the other day who had their crew blowing the leaves into the driveway, then a crewmember would suck them up with a Billygoat. I gave em the thumbs up. Not hacks.
No per cut here! EOW on full time accounts. We blow the few few leaves into the grass and dust them with a pass of the mower. A few places are surrounded by oaks and make a bit of a mess. These folks get talked into a clean up after the majority are down. Regular service keeps too much from building up.