Register free!

Old 05-10-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nut Grass pokes through

This is some landscape that I have to maintain even though we didn't but it in. could this have been avoided? No cloth in the bed area.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2014, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly, I think nutsedge comes in the mulch sometimes.

I've been having very good success treating beds with a mix of SedgeHammer, Fusilade and Barricade. 4 applications a year have been keeping the beds completely weed free, including control of common Bermuda and nutsedge.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Only way to keep it from emerging is Casoron applied at rates toxic to most plants. Otherwise, Certainty or Sedgehammer after it emerges. I also use RoundUp at a 33% dilution painted onto the Nutsedge. Some plants will not take Sulfonylurea herbicides applied near them.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-11-2014, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Nutgrass in ornamental beds around here comes from the soil they use in those beds. They tout it as "sandy loam" but what it really is, is nutgrass infested river dirt from the Arkansas River bottoms.

Ed, I don't think it would really matter. I've seen nutgrass punch through every landscape fabric known to man...

I use sedgehammer because it is labeled for use around about 400 different ornamentals. I believe use around junipers, cypress, etc... should be avoided.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 05-11-2014, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Nutgrass in ornamental beds around here comes from the soil they use in those beds. They tout it as "sandy loam" but what it really is, is nutgrass infested river dirt from the Arkansas River bottoms.

Ed, I don't think it would really matter. I've seen nutgrass punch through every landscape fabric known to man...

I use sedgehammer because it is labeled for use around about 400 different ornamentals. I believe use around junipers, cypress, etc... should be avoided.
The landscaper instructed us not to use any chemical so we get payed to hand dig it out.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

BS you cant pay me enough to dig that crap out... Id use sedge hammer on the nutgrass for sure.. Ted is right about Arkansas.. Nutgrass infested river dirt!!!
Old 05-12-2014, 03:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you are planning on excavating 48" of dirt out, any kind of digging is a mission to nowhere. I get to clean up lawns and landscapes where the previous weed control program was digging, pulling, and cutting. Step 1: stop digging. Step 2: fertilize with a high nitrate fertilizer so every single weed that is laying in wait shows itself. Step 3: apply either selective herbicides or non selective herbicides in a selective manner. That last one refers to painting on 33% RoundUp in areas where sulfonylurea herbicides will not be selective.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
The landscaper instructed us not to use any chemical so we get payed to hand dig it out.
Then that "landscaper" can dig his own damn self. What kind of stupid instruction is that? Is he trying to pizz off the client who is going to see that the nutsedge is not only surviving, it is also spreading? Never mind that his client is paying for something that is not going to work long term.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Then that "landscaper" can dig his own damn self. What kind of stupid instruction is that? Is he trying to pizz off the client who is going to see that the nutsedge is not only surviving, it is also spreading? Never mind that his client is paying for something that is not going to work long term.
I am not quite as confident in chemicals making the stuff disappear. it is like dallis grass, I'm back. And you can't let the nut grass in the bed while the spray works. And in the end you have to dig it out. I was looking for a silver bullet kind of Pre-m.

The landscaper is an organic person and a women. Not that it matters.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe she will OK something organic--bill her separately for the nutsedge-pulling crew's hours. Maybe she will get a bit more flexible.
Non-chemical methods to try. Vinegar. Steam or boiling water. Flame torch--but of course this usually sets the mulch on fire. None of these will affect the roots of course.
Print out the labels and MSDS for , Roundup, Dismiss and Sedgehammer--and let her choose the least toxic of the three, being sure to point out that Weed b Gone is more toxic. Likewise vinegar.