Register free!

Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In The Final [b]Analysis,,,[/b]

... what is this article saying about cool-season grasses' life cycle???

http://turfdisease.osu.edu/turf-dise...-fertilization

In regards to timing of the late season fertilizer application this article is describing the research and findings... It has made a few definate conclusions about several things in "The Life and Times of the Grass Plant"...
According to the article,,,NOT you or me,,, According to the article when should the grass be fertilized???

1. Six weeks before first frost?

2. Six weeks before the ground is frozen?

3. When top growth slows?

4. Other?

The season is drawing to a close for me so learning some detail about life-cycles and botany, can only help...

Last edited by Smallaxe; 11-22-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gee Axe, can you not read?

Quote:
For the late-season concept to work successfully, it is essential that the turf be green when the late (October / November/December)) nitrogen application is made.
This is just another example of understanding what you post before you post that I was talking about in the other thread on the same subject.

Honestly man, how many threads are you going to start on the subject of late season fertilizing?
Old 11-22-2012, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I typically time my last N application 6 weeks before the average frost.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I typically time my last N application 6 weeks before the average frost.
warm or cool ..... big difference.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
warm or cool ..... big difference.
I only have one commercial account that overseeds for winter. So warm.
We still put down about 5 weeks after germination of winter Rye and again in the late winter.

Actually works out about the same. Overseed in Late Sept, Fertilize in mid-october frost Nov 15.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So now that the in-depth commentary has been superficially addressed, perhaps there is something else that could be gleaned from the article... perhaps something that is more relevant than the grass being green, in Oct-Dec!!!

Then,,, comparing warm-season to the article,,, great forum response from what kind of people???
People who really like to throw off the real concept behind an article ,,, because they can't understand the simple meaning of a sentence and how it ties to other sentences,,, but arrogantly calls everyone who doesn't fit into his tiny mental arena,,, incapable of understanding the written word... what an unfunny JOKE...

OSU researched the entire season of winter dormancy and figured out the grass should be green and that's the signal for more fert assimilation and photosynthesis!!!
Talk about shallow and lame!!!
Old 11-23-2012, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Small,

The article is a good one thanks for sharing. Hope you got as much from it as I did. It was well written and easy to understand. It does not need much commentary as it supports what most of us were taught.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
So now that the in-depth commentary has been superficially addressed, perhaps there is something else that could be gleaned from the article... perhaps something that is more relevant than the grass being green, in Oct-Dec!!!

Then,,, comparing warm-season to the article,,, great forum response from what kind of people???
People who really like to throw off the real concept behind an article ,,, because they can't understand the simple meaning of a sentence and how it ties to other sentences,,, but arrogantly calls everyone who doesn't fit into his tiny mental arena,,, incapable of understanding the written word... what an unfunny JOKE...

OSU researched the entire season of winter dormancy and figured out the grass should be green and that's the signal for more fert assimilation and photosynthesis!!!
Talk about shallow and lame!!!
If you have all the answers Axe then why did you start the thread? Perhaps because you feel the need to get on your typical soapbox like above? FYI, time and time again I have tried to have an "intelligent" discussion with you, with the end result being you getting on a soap box about universities and people with an education live in a box .... or per this thread have a "tiny mental arena". You wonder why I give you a hard time ..... read your post above to get an idea of one of the reasons.

The article is crystal clear and it need NOT be inaccurately dissected by you. There is no need to "read between the lines" here. If you want intelligent discussion on a subject then learn the subject matter before you post.