Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Since it looks like the brick just sits atop the concrete, it would be possible to drill a hole though the concrete, and tunnel a path to connect the system to the water.
Why? The first thing I would do is find out where the supply for the hose bibb is routed. There is likely no city in this country that would allow a permanently connected constant pressure valve being fed from a hose bibb in this manner. Around these parts as it currently is installed, there are numerous code violations.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That would be something like step two, assuming there is any practical access. I've seen some real horror shows fed from hydrants like these. Step one, of course, is to have a proper backflow prevention assembly in place, with plumbing no one will trip over.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Step one, of course, is to have a proper backflow prevention assembly in place, with plumbing no one will trip over.
If that is step 1, then step 0 is finding the supply to the hose bibb so one might install a proper valve (eg. ASV) or appropriate BFP.

If there is no reasonable, code compliant, litigation safe way to do this, then your only option is to rethink the landscape in this area.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I won't assume practical access exists. So many of these goofy installs are avoiding spending thousand(s) to source the water more directly.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I won't assume practical access exists. So many of these goofy installs are avoiding spending thousand(s) to source the water more directly.
You shouldn't assume anything. The water doesn't magically appear at the hose bibb. Get the plans, find the routing of the supply, assess your options. Personally, I wouldn't touch that setup with your hands and if I were ArTurf, I wouldn't be walking, but running to rip that out.