Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-27-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not saying that knowledge isn't important. I have a PhD in turfgrass science and everyone on my staff has at least a BS in turf science, but most have MS degrees.

What I'm saying is that our customers EXPECT us to be knowledgeable. You tow guys are a great example. We know that others in the industry have knowledge in this, too. I can say that I have formal education in turf science, but so does gk44 and so does creech, so now where did it get me? It didn't differentiate me much at all. Having the knowledge doesn't make you special -- it just makes you part of the industry.

Maybe I didn't say it very well the first time. Our customers expect that anyone advertising these services is knowledgeable. They don't expect anyone with less than the highest level of education in this field to be in business. They expect their plumbers to know everything about pipes and they expect their electricians to know everything about wiring. When you claim "we have knowledge in this trade," customers think, "so what?! You wouldn't be in this business if you didn't know something about it!"

I'm not saying that knowledge isn't important. I'm just saying that unless you have something truly unique and valuable to your customer, you're just telling them you are one among the many; you're not separating yourself.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
I'm not saying that knowledge isn't important. I have a PhD in turfgrass science and everyone on my staff has at least a BS in turf science, but most have MS degrees.

What I'm saying is that our customers EXPECT us to be knowledgeable. You tow guys are a great example. We know that others in the industry have knowledge in this, too. I can say that I have formal education in turf science, but so does gk44 and so does creech, so now where did it get me? It didn't differentiate me much at all. Having the knowledge doesn't make you special -- it just makes you part of the industry.

Maybe I didn't say it very well the first time. Our customers expect that anyone advertising these services is knowledgeable. They don't expect anyone with less than the highest level of education in this field to be in business. They expect their plumbers to know everything about pipes and they expect their electricians to know everything about wiring. When you claim "we have knowledge in this trade," customers think, "so what?! You wouldn't be in this business if you didn't know something about it!"

I'm not saying that knowledge isn't important. I'm just saying that unless you have something truly unique and valuable to your customer, you're just telling them you are one among the many; you're not separating yourself.
There are several on this site that are very knowledgable but we are states away.
There are very few if any companies n my area that are educated n r field.
Even a guy that has been in the business for 20 yrs I question his true knowledge.
Yes a 20 yr veteran may know his products and can ID most problems...but to understand biology of plants and how chemistries work etc is hard to pick up on the street and n meetings.

I value my education greatly and think it moves r business up to the top.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Sponsor

I recommend an Illustrated guide to pruning by Doctor Ed Gilman, 3 rd edition Easy to read with many color pictures, illustrations.
easy-lift guy
Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
There are several on this site that are very knowledgable but we are states away.
Even a guy that has been in the business for 20 yrs I question his true knowledge.
Yes a 20 yr veteran may know his products and can ID most problems...but to understand biology of plants and how chemistries work etc is hard to pick up on the street and n meetings.

Posted via Mobile Device
If that really gave you the edge, I'd go hire one of your types tomorrow.

We're over complicating things here. It's grass, weeds, insects, and fungus. You make one green and get rid of the others.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
And it sounds like you're doing a great job rodney. I believe knowledge helps as well. It makes a difference when you're able to spit out answers in a few seconds. I can certainly tell you're the top in your area and i appreciate you speaking to me a few times via phone and always look forward to your post. Keep busting the market and wearing out your competition. My book should be in jan 7th. Ill let you know how i like it.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
If that really gave you the edge, I'd go hire one of your types tomorrow.

We're over complicating things here. It's grass, weeds, insects, and fungus. You make one green and get rid of the others.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your couldn't afford "my type"...plus my type run their own successful business's and don't work for wage for someone else.

Good Luck!!!!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2014, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just read chapter 1. starting off great! thanks you mr. creech for the referral of this book. Its NFL playoff time time and will continue reading later. thanks again
Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
I just read chapter 1. starting off great! thanks you mr. creech for the referral of this book. Its NFL playoff time time and will continue reading later. thanks again
I hope you enjoy it and get as much from it as I did!
You will be amazed as you read on how good it is.
Posted via Mobile Device