Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
If you do a search there are pix of the kit both off and on the deck. I can't get under it yet, without some thought.Lol. It doesn't blow the grass into the beds. In fact the first time I used it I made a mess in the driveway but the last two times nothing. Can't explain that. I'm satisfied with the kit but come September I'll be putting the bagger on. It requires a change in blades, as well. Still figuring out the best way to work on the deck. I might simply just jack it up on to standers and block it. Simple. But the kit is a bit of a job to put on and take off.

I will do some Google searches. I was just curious how the Toro kits compare to the Hustler kits. Should be similar I would think. I was hoping to have the kit in my hands tonight to compare, but no such luck. My dealer sold the kit after I talked to him (my fault as I didn't have him hold it) and he has to order me a new one in. Apparently they go like hotcakes.

Anyhow, when searching for info on the Hustler kits, I ran across this video. You can see their "high tech" method for raising the deck and working on the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4KRLeXLsQ
Old 05-20-2014, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimits76 View Post
I will do some Google searches. I was just curious how the Toro kits compare to the Hustler kits. Should be similar I would think. I was hoping to have the kit in my hands tonight to compare, but no such luck. My dealer sold the kit after I talked to him (my fault as I didn't have him hold it) and he has to order me a new one in. Apparently they go like hotcakes.

Anyhow, when searching for info on the Hustler kits, I ran across this video. You can see their "high tech" method for raising the deck and working on the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix4KRLeXLsQ
http://www.torodealer.com/en-us/Page...9023(ToroParts)

There is a close up to view the individual parts closely and an overview as well as a manual. Seems just a bit more to it than the Hustler kit in the vid above. Might want to ask others on here how well the Hustler kit works for mulching. Not sure if there are folks here with the same set up as yours, though.

Pretty simple method to get under the deck, lol.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2014, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I run a Gravely 460 now, but I had a Cub Cadet Z force 50 at one point and regardless of the brand 3 point turns are really the easiest way to not divot unless you have a lot of experience on a ZTR. The easiest way to think about it is that both wheels need to be moving at all times to keep from tearing up the turf.

Another tip for you, if you want the stripes to pop even more and you don't mine taking the time go over them a second time, not only does it catch any grass you miss first pass the stripes are a lot darker the second run.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKuhn View Post
I run a Gravely 460 now, but I had a Cub Cadet Z force 50 at one point and regardless of the brand 3 point turns are really the easiest way to not divot unless you have a lot of experience on a ZTR. The easiest way to think about it is that both wheels need to be moving at all times to keep from tearing up the turf.

Another tip for you, if you want the stripes to pop even more and you don't mine taking the time go over them a second time, not only does it catch any grass you miss first pass the stripes are a lot darker the second run.
Thanks for the tips. Even when I 3pt I sometimes divot. I am getting better quickly, though. I use the 21" to edge the property. Then I use the z and do my rows. Finally, I do a perimeter cut with the z. I'm trying to cut down on the time, which is in large part why I opted for it in the first place. But I'm cutting more often with the mulcher. The 3pt turns slow me down a bit as well.

In short I'm not saving a lot of time- but I'm no longer hoofing it, the quality of cut is awesome, and I enjoy the ride. Oh yeah, looking forward to leaves in the fall.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the pictures. I went ahead and ordered the kit w/o having much information. It is similar to the Toro kit you posted. Price was $149. Hoping to install and mow this weekend.

I started a thread about it here, if you want to read:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...43#post5043543

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
http://www.torodealer.com/en-us/Page...9023(ToroParts)

There is a close up to view the individual parts closely and an overview as well as a manual. Seems just a bit more to it than the Hustler kit in the vid above. Might want to ask others on here how well the Hustler kit works for mulching. Not sure if there are folks here with the same set up as yours, though.

Pretty simple method to get under the deck, lol.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Member

12 hours in

Progress report on MX4260. I've got about 12 hours on the machine now and thought I'd make some further observations and post a couple more pics. Hopefully this will help some folks make more informed decisions. I struggled a bit finding personal info/experience particularly on the Toro.

The machine is running flawlessly; I would expect it to, of course, at this point. I changed the oil per schedule already (8 hrs.). I was surprised that the used oil was so dark. Wonder what they ship it with and why it needs to be changed so quickly. I used 10w-30. Not happy that the dipstick is plastic, as well as the plug, though it is easy to drain and change.

The machine does leave divots. I'm careful and have gained some proficiency at operating it and I still leave divots, some worse than others. I make k-turns, or three-point turns, much of the time, though this is counter productive a bit. The cut is impressive. I get decent striping with no stripe kit. I find that the front castor wheels sometimes leave a small divot.

The traction is good, though it does slide and tear up the turf in one spot of my lawn where the turf is sparse and inclined to about 12-15*. It is a small area and not a big deal.

If the grass is dry and relatively low (right now I am mowing at 3") I can move at full speed (7mph). This is fast. Otherwise, and most of the time, I mow at half speed or less in the lower transmission setting. By the way, I'm mulching. The mulcher works flawlessly, but I do not mow when grass is wet and I do the lawn twice a week.

I'm happier now that I purchased the MX mainly because of the 10 gauge, fabricated deck. Surprisingly, I have already hit some tree roots and landscaping walls (lightly) and pulled our swing set about 6" (oops) with no apparent damage to the deck. I feel that this deck will last on my 3/4 acre lot, maybe for a decade.

Will update in the fall when I add the bagger and use the machine for leaf collection. Also plan to use a sweeper and dethatcher.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quality of cut pix. Cannot seem to post more than one picture at a time.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2014, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Another picture of mower.
Attached Images