Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-26-2006, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by upidstay
If the dose of N had no effect, your pH might be off. Take a soil test. Low pH can seriously affect the plant's ability to take up nutrients.
Oh yeah... the pH certainly tested high/alkaline...

That's the reasoning for the ammonium sulfate application in the first place.
The 21-0-0 24% sulfur was the exact fit for the application...

High pH, low N, sufficent P & K.

But yes, you are exactly right, soil pH does certainly effect uptake. In my mind it's certainly responsible for the lack of response. I've seen it before. Usually the 21-0-0 is effective at getting the job done and the grass greens.

Maybe this one just needs a little more time, or maybe it needs more sulfur but in the elemental form.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-26-2006, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe you have had too much rain and instead of an uptake in the root, a lot of it may have washed out. What type of soil is it?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

is there an excessive amount of thatch ? if so the thatch will act as a sponge and prevent the chemical from reaching the roots . also if mushroom mycelia is present in the soil it will become very difficult to wet causing the lawn to stress even more and die from lack of water no matter if you had rain or not ..
Old 04-26-2006, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimmygew
Maybe you have had too much rain and instead of an uptake in the root, a lot of it may have washed out. What type of soil is it?
I describe the soil as a brown clay. Clay with some organic material and flakey rock, which I now believe to be LIMESTONE... hence the high pH. There is but a skiff of topsoil, mostly just from grass clipping decomposition. The ground is hard, but not extremely hard in most places until a 4"-6" depth. Then it is HARD.

Anyways, here is a picture of the soil at a fresh cut bed edge...
Attached Images

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-28-2006, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well guys, checked on it today (7days and inches of rain later) and all looks well.

I guess it just needed a good warm day and a half of sunshine after all the rain.

I was not under the impression that ammonium sulfate needed soil temperatures to become available. But maybe it does and maybe the rain caused a soil temperature drop?

I don't know, but one thing is for sure, sunshine is the only thing that has changed, and things started looking up in a hurry!