Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2014, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

27 kohler not charging

have a 2005 exmark navigator with a 27 kohler. it runs after I charge the battery or jump it. but after a few hours of running it, it drains the battery. any ideas what it could be? I am not real savvy with engines. anything else wouldn't be a problem. thanks in advance
Old 03-23-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You need a rectiifier I believe. It is mounted on side of engine with plug going into it. About the size of matchbox with 4 plugs. Keeps your battery charged while working.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penscape Landscaping View Post
You need a rectiifier I believe. It is mounted on side of engine with plug going into it. About the size of matchbox with 4 plugs. Keeps your battery charged while working.
I will give that a try
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2014, 05:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't know if I will be of much help but I too have a 2005 Navigator 27hp and had a similar or the same issue last season. My battery would go dead about every 3 days. I would put the charger on it every night so it would stay charged and start for the next day. I also unpluged the hopper fil system so it would not draw the battery down as fast. I knew it was not the battery cause I changed batteries. I planed trying to figure it out over the Winter when I had time to work on it. I found that a 20amp fuse was blown. I replaced it and the charging system is now working. I tested it with the volt meter and it tested around 14.7. I think that was the problem or hope it was. I will find out when I start using it day to day when the weather gets better. I do not why the fuse blew so that has me concerned. This may not help you much but I hope it helps you find your problem.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdghs View Post
I don't know if I will be of much help but I too have a 2005 Navigator 27hp and had a similar or the same issue last season. My battery would go dead about every 3 days. I would put the charger on it every night so it would stay charged and start for the next day. I also unpluged the hopper fil system so it would not draw the battery down as fast. I knew it was not the battery cause I changed batteries. I planed trying to figure it out over the Winter when I had time to work on it. I found that a 20amp fuse was blown. I replaced it and the charging system is now working. I tested it with the volt meter and it tested around 14.7. I think that was the problem or hope it was. I will find out when I start using it day to day when the weather gets better. I do not why the fuse blew so that has me concerned. This may not help you much but I hope it helps you find your problem.
I certainly will check it out as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Sponsor

The forum is correct in that it is a charging issue but it could be an issue besides a failed regulator/rectifier. We recommend you start by checking the charge fuse, the connections at the regulator/rectifier (don’t forget to check the ground), and the wire from the regulator/rectifier to the fuse/key switch. With the engine running at high idle, the regulator/rectifier should be outputting 13.7-14.7VDC – check voltage at the regulator/rectifier and at the battery; the stator should be outputting a minimum of approximately 38VAC. If you need any additional help, please contact Exmark Technical Service at 402-223-6375
Old 03-24-2014, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmark PR View Post
The forum is correct in that it is a charging issue but it could be an issue besides a failed regulator/rectifier. We recommend you start by checking the charge fuse, the connections at the regulator/rectifier (donít forget to check the ground), and the wire from the regulator/rectifier to the fuse/key switch. With the engine running at high idle, the regulator/rectifier should be outputting 13.7-14.7VDC Ė check voltage at the regulator/rectifier and at the battery; the stator should be outputting a minimum of approximately 38VAC. If you need any additional help, please contact Exmark Technical Service at 402-223-6375
thank you. i'll check out everyones suggestions. if we can ever get some decent days.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

also, you have bad flywheel magnets that have damage your alternator. they were prone for doing that. I have repair 3 kohlers with that problem. I would do what jimslawncarservice says first and check for voltage output at the battery and rectifier.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penscape Landscaping View Post
Really? I mean REALLY???? You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the stator should be outputting a minimum of approximately 38VAC.[/QUOTE]

Just a quick correction. It should be minimum of 28VAC and might be as high as 50VAC