Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-23-2014, 08:53 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,959
27 kohler not charging

have a 2005 exmark navigator with a 27 kohler. it runs after I charge the battery or jump it. but after a few hours of running it, it drains the battery. any ideas what it could be? I am not real savvy with engines. anything else wouldn't be a problem. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Penscape Landscaping's Avatar
Penscape Landscaping Penscape Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hickory-North Carolina
Posts: 358
You need a rectiifier I believe. It is mounted on side of engine with plug going into it. About the size of matchbox with 4 plugs. Keeps your battery charged while working.
__________________
Penscape Landscaping---Foothills, NC
Surviving the Fly by night lowballers!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penscape Landscaping View Post
You need a rectiifier I believe. It is mounted on side of engine with plug going into it. About the size of matchbox with 4 plugs. Keeps your battery charged while working.
I will give that a try
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-24-2014, 05:48 AM
mdghs mdghs is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY state
Posts: 31
I don't know if I will be of much help but I too have a 2005 Navigator 27hp and had a similar or the same issue last season. My battery would go dead about every 3 days. I would put the charger on it every night so it would stay charged and start for the next day. I also unpluged the hopper fil system so it would not draw the battery down as fast. I knew it was not the battery cause I changed batteries. I planed trying to figure it out over the Winter when I had time to work on it. I found that a 20amp fuse was blown. I replaced it and the charging system is now working. I tested it with the volt meter and it tested around 14.7. I think that was the problem or hope it was. I will find out when I start using it day to day when the weather gets better. I do not why the fuse blew so that has me concerned. This may not help you much but I hope it helps you find your problem.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-24-2014, 07:47 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdghs View Post
I don't know if I will be of much help but I too have a 2005 Navigator 27hp and had a similar or the same issue last season. My battery would go dead about every 3 days. I would put the charger on it every night so it would stay charged and start for the next day. I also unpluged the hopper fil system so it would not draw the battery down as fast. I knew it was not the battery cause I changed batteries. I planed trying to figure it out over the Winter when I had time to work on it. I found that a 20amp fuse was blown. I replaced it and the charging system is now working. I tested it with the volt meter and it tested around 14.7. I think that was the problem or hope it was. I will find out when I start using it day to day when the weather gets better. I do not why the fuse blew so that has me concerned. This may not help you much but I hope it helps you find your problem.
I certainly will check it out as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Exmark PR Exmark PR is offline
Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Beatrice, Nebraska
Posts: 230
The forum is correct in that it is a charging issue but it could be an issue besides a failed regulator/rectifier. We recommend you start by checking the charge fuse, the connections at the regulator/rectifier (don’t forget to check the ground), and the wire from the regulator/rectifier to the fuse/key switch. With the engine running at high idle, the regulator/rectifier should be outputting 13.7-14.7VDC – check voltage at the regulator/rectifier and at the battery; the stator should be outputting a minimum of approximately 38VAC. If you need any additional help, please contact Exmark Technical Service at 402-223-6375
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Jimslawncareservice Jimslawncareservice is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mn
Posts: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmark PR View Post
The forum is correct in that it is a charging issue but it could be an issue besides a failed regulator/rectifier. We recommend you start by checking the charge fuse, the connections at the regulator/rectifier (donít forget to check the ground), and the wire from the regulator/rectifier to the fuse/key switch. With the engine running at high idle, the regulator/rectifier should be outputting 13.7-14.7VDC Ė check voltage at the regulator/rectifier and at the battery; the stator should be outputting a minimum of approximately 38VAC. If you need any additional help, please contact Exmark Technical Service at 402-223-6375
thank you. i'll check out everyones suggestions. if we can ever get some decent days.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 AM
wahlturfcare wahlturfcare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: iowa
Posts: 491
also, you have bad flywheel magnets that have damage your alternator. they were prone for doing that. I have repair 3 kohlers with that problem. I would do what jimslawncarservice says first and check for voltage output at the battery and rectifier.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 PM
VegetiveSteam VegetiveSteam is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penscape Landscaping View Post
You need a rectiifier I believe. It is mounted on side of engine with plug going into it. About the size of matchbox with 4 plugs. Keeps your battery charged while working.
Really? I mean REALLY???? You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-25-2014, 10:32 PM
VegetiveSteam VegetiveSteam is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 297
the stator should be outputting a minimum of approximately 38VAC.[/QUOTE]

Just a quick correction. It should be minimum of 28VAC and might be as high as 50VAC
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 AM.

Page generated in 0.08740 seconds with 9 queries