Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-06-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got the Timemaster back from the dealer today. The tech did not go into the engine to address the governor problem. He merely bent the tab back until the rpm's were with in spec. Used it on one property and the engine ran fine.

My take is the governor "slipped". Don't think the problem is repaired. Am looking into putting the Kawi from the Turfmaster on it. The dealer says that engine runs about $350. Not sure it will fit.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Got the Timemaster back from the dealer today. The tech did not go into the engine to address the governor problem. He merely bent the tab back until the rpm's were with in spec. Used it on one property and the engine ran fine.

My take is the governor "slipped". Don't think the problem is repaired. Am looking into putting the Kawi from the Turfmaster on it. The dealer says that engine runs about $350. Not sure it will fit.
Merely bending back the tang that holds the governor spring occurred to me when mine went into over speed at the time. This doesn't address what caused it...?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2014, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's something in the carb.those engines are so fickle. I ran out of fuel in one my timemasters today and when I got back to fill and start it, it starting pouring down rain and the mower wouldn't start for anything. I decided to put the timemaster back on the trailer and start weed eating what little I had left to mow. When I got the mower back on the trailer low and behold it starts. ???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2014, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
It's something in the carb.those engines are so fickle. I ran out of fuel in one my timemasters today and when I got back to fill and start it, it starting pouring down rain and the mower wouldn't start for anything. I decided to put the timemaster back on the trailer and start weed eating what little I had left to mow. When I got the mower back on the trailer low and behold it starts. ???
Posted via Mobile Device
Mine is hard starting as well if the engine is warm. Am guessing it has something to do with the choke. Starts great cold.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Lawnaspire,

What did you do to your overspeed TimeMaster to fix it...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2014, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
Mine is hard starting as well if the engine is warm. Am guessing it has something to do with the choke. Starts great cold.
So far (only 2 weeks) I've only had difficulty re-starting after I've tipped it on it's side for a few minutes to scrape the deck. Other than that it starts with a light pull each time.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Lawnaspire,

What did you do to your overspeed TimeMaster to fix it...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Nothing yet. I called the dealer and they said it was still covered and to bring it in. Which I find strange since I bought it last June. The Timemaster I was referring to in the above post is the one I bought from my friend. (I have 2 of them.)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-08-2014, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Someone said to look in the carb to see if the flap on the throttle rod is moving. He said the screws often fall out.

Used mine again yesterday for a few minutes and it ran fine.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got mine back from dealer today. They said it was a governor gone bad and they just replaced the governor. Even though I bought it last June and engine parts only have 90 day warranties on those Briggs they're going to try to get Briggs to cover it. Which I was pleased to hear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2014, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any idea what this repair might cost? Probably almost cheaper to buy the complete engine.