Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
I have a new 2015 and it is for sure the most solid truck on the market. Not only is the power train rock solid but the new cab and body are the best yet.
Id buy new!Even a gas engine will last you the rest of your life if you take good care of it and don't over work it.Keeps fluids and filters clean and never buy another truck.Problem with used is people don't change trans fluid and filter,rebuilds are costly and don't last.Buy new!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

If you're going to be pulling the same weight you were with the Dodge I don't see the need of the Dmax. Though the Dmax's fuel economy would be better than the 6.0 gasser, repair costs can be triple or more to keep a diesel rolling. If you were pulling 8-10K lbs the Dmax would make perfect sense. My older K2500 with a 5.7 will pull 7K lbs at a reasonable pace and get 10MPG. It's also dirt cheap to repair as compared to a late-model emissions diesel. I'd love to have a nicer later model diesel rig but I just cannot justify the expense for my needs.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

To the OP, I am not going to talk you out of buying a diesel or scare you with repair costs, I am going to answer the question that you asked. You wanted to hear from people who own and run Duramax/Allison equipped trucks, which I do. I have an 01 Chevy 2500HD LB7 Duramax. Mine is an extended cab short bed, and is just shy of 158,000 miles. I love the truck, great power when pulling, previous owner put on mostly highway miles and did usual tranny flushes and other service. I got a great deal on it and have put some work into it, body work and other things that a 13 year old truck would need. For what years to buy, I would say to stay away from the 01 to pre 04.5 LB7s because of injector issues, but saying that my truck is on its stock set at almost 160k and today I had a fuel system test and all of my injectors balanced out fine. Ideal would be an 06 or 07 classic with the LBZ, which is a pre emissions truck. LLYs are great to, my dad has one and its a solid truck. Look for a reasonably priced LLY or LBZ, or newer if you can afford, but those get my vote. Happy shopping!
Posted via Mobile Device