Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I hate to say it but you're destined to fail. You can't open a actual business using a old riding mower, then take on customers that don't have money. I'm going to ask even though I know the answer. Did you spend any time doing research and learn what it takes to open a business or did you think, hey, I can mow yards with my mower and make a living? You're traveling down a dead end street.

Just so you know, I spent almost 20k the first year in business just to open up. It was scary but as long as I stuck with the plan I shouldn't have many problems. Fast forward, everything was paid off in the first 3 years while still supporting a family. I'm glad I spent the time to learn the different aspects of the trade/industry that I didn't know about BEFORE I started. I still haven't spent any money on advertizing and I'm swamped with work.
Im in the Army and am getting furloughed. I started this to feed my family. In two months I have I have more than covered my losses from the furlough, greatly upgraded my equipment and put money in savings. My customers are happy despite my pitiful low quality equipment and my lack of knowledge of the "trade/industry". I have nothing financed, so after taxes and maintenance its all profit. So its not feeling very much like a dead end street to me. Feels kind of like an interstate.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

don't worry about bi weekly accounts. that is the normal thing in alabama. you are lucky if you are able to get weekly accounts. this year is just abnormal. normally it's dry and the grass is hardly growing and starting to turn brown this time of year so bi weekly is a breeze. this is the main reason everyone here wants bi weekly. july and august when it's hot and dry. this rain is just crazy this year so that's why we are seeing what we are seeing. normally a bi weekly yard the grass will only be 6" high and a weekly will be 4" tall before you mow it down to about 2". during this heavy rain period the weekly cuts are 6-8" tall and the bi weekly cuts are 12" or more. yeah clippings will be on the lawn but that's just the weather. it's so tall, thick, and wet you couldn't even bag the grass if you wanted to. it's just gonna look messy until it dries up a bit. a commercial mower will make a huge difference though. you only have to mow the yard one time and be done. as soon as it rains again it gets rid of any clippings that were left on the lawn.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Many a member here started with a residential grade equipment and became successful.

Better to stay out of debt and use what you have and can afford then going into debt.

Commercial machines will get more work done in a day then a residential. When starting out and one has ten lawns residential mowers will be able to get the work done.

Always keep in mind the difference between a need and a want when buying things for a business.

And many do not have $20,000 to spend when starting a business. And notice I used the word spend and not the word invest.

Buying equipment, trailers, and trucks, depriciate in value.

Things that depriciate are not investments. If they were investments if a business went belly up how come one will not get half of what they paid when they bought their stuff.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Many a member here started with a residential grade equipment and became successful.

Better to stay out of debt and use what you have and can afford then going into debt.

Commercial machines will get more work done in a day then a residential. When starting out and one has ten lawns residential mowers will be able to get the work done.

Always keep in mind the difference between a need and a want when buying things for a business.

And many do not have $20,000 to spend when starting a business. And notice I used the word spend and not the word invest.

Buying equipment, trailers, and trucks, depriciate in value.

Things that depriciate are not investments. If they were investments if a business went belly up how come one will not get half of what they paid when they bought their stuff.

All depends on the equipment I sold my first mower For 700 less then what I gave for it new in 1985.
Now on tractors I have a 4600 ford its worth more now then what I paid for it new back in 89.
Most of my mowers have paid for there self a few times, so if I sold them off would be a profit. Like my 2007 Diesel mower Bought for 10k sold it for 9k and ran it for 3 yrs then added 500 bought a new gas 72''
on trailers there isn't much drop on there value if you had them for a good time.
I have a friend sold his skid steer trailer for same price he gave for it 20 years ago

Now you go belly up in first 5 yrs yes you might get half of what you spent
Old 07-12-2013, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
How did I know that was coming? I might be off a little as for the equipment. Yes, homeowner stuff can get you through the first couple seasons if you're lucky.
Leaping in head first isn't the best thing to do and expect to talk about if you don't know what you're leaping into.
You knew it was coming, because you have a tendency to try and rain on everyone's parade. I'm not against giving someone a dose of reality when the situation calls for it, but I don't agree with automatically assuming someone is an idiot, just because they choose to run their business differently than you.

You were kind enough to put the phrase, "many do fail" in bold type. I'd like to add that there are probably just as many who start out with $20,000, $50,000, or $100,000 invested in their business who fail as well. Many successful companies were started by people who were willing to take a leap of faith and learn as they went along. I think that is called the "American way" by some.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblades View Post
This may sound like a bad idea but what about renting a commercial mower from a dealer for a day or two or borrowing a friends commercial mower if you have a friend that could let you use/rent his backup mower to cut your biggest most overgrown yards?

It might eat up a lot of your earnings for a week or two but would greatly help you get them back under control, especially if you're having to mow at a really slow pace just to get them cut, plus it will save a lot of wear on your noncommercial mower also.----just an idea that might work for you.

Good luck and let us know you did after you get this issue resolved.
But it's not his fault that the grass is growing quickly. I have the same delema up here, too. The client should pay for weekly cutting.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
You knew it was coming, because you have a tendency to try and rain on everyone's parade. I'm not against giving someone a dose of reality when the situation calls for it, but I don't agree with automatically assuming someone is an idiot, just because they choose to run their business differently than you.

You were kind enough to put the phrase, "many do fail" in bold type. I'd like to add that there are probably just as many who start out with $20,000, $50,000, or $100,000 invested in their business who fail as well. Many successful companies were started by people who were willing to take a leap of faith and learn as they went along. I think that is called the "American way" by some.
Well said, MOturkey!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't imagine bi-weekly cuts with this much rain. I do allot of foreclosures that are bi-weekly cuts but they expect it to look like a hay field. They only are paying for a rough cut. When a customer wants you to cut their yard bi-weekly and it to look good, run like hell. They are cheap and you don't need them. There are enough people out there willing to pay you for your services. Don't get sucked in by these cheap ass people wanting something for nothing.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
1995 36" Scag Walk Behind
Old 07-15-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Rent a commercial mower and set to highest cut height and make sure the blades are sharp! You can rent some goats and leave them on the lawn for a couple hours though there might be few land mines to cleanup after