Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-10-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I run over the concrete tanks all the time without putting down plywood with track machines that are anywhere from 3 to 6 psi...those are specs without a bucket full of gravel, I think. I have a half-dozen sheets of 3/4" plywood that I use for running over areas that are soft. I think plywood is better than planks for distributing weight.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Yes but the tanks design does not allow for that too ever happen unless it is a really large tank. Here they are around 10 foot long by 5 foot wide. It is nearly impossible too get all the machines weight on the center of the tank top where it is weakest.
You are right of course, I was merely pointing out that psi isn't everything. Yes an equally distributed load lowers the max bending moment at the center, however load the bucket up and the machine rotated towards the front idler and you lose your nice theoretical load distribution. Throw some variations/bumps in there and you degrade it further. Of course you also get a force distribution due to the depth of the soil and the shear angle of the soil.

Would I drive over the tank? Yeah i would.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxridernorth View Post
You are right of course, I was merely pointing out that psi isn't everything. Yes an equally distributed load lowers the max bending moment at the center, however load the bucket up and the machine rotated towards the front idler and you lose your nice theoretical load distribution. Throw some variations/bumps in there and you degrade it further. Of course you also get a force distribution due to the depth of the soil and the shear angle of the soil.

Would I drive over the tank? Yeah i would.
Yeah I agree on the psi being irrelevant too total machine weight and it's affect on whats underneath it.