Old 05-04-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No you abs will not come on under extremely hard braking. There not designed to
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
You're not going to be able to lock tires up at 50 mph dry. If it comes up pedal will start shaking
Posted via Mobile Device
ok. that makes me feel better.

thanks.

Is this because its a heavy truck? I am certain I used to lock them up on my z28 when I was a kid at all kind of speeds. could just be bad memory

has any one else had this same experience?
Old 05-04-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've only managed to activate abs one time in 10 years. That was with a 3/4 ton pulling a 10k trailer. Someone pulled out in front of me in the rain.

I have more issues with fwd cars activating traction control lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can activate my abs on all my vehicles. I have activated them on my international 4900 with a back hoe trailer. Your best bet to get them to activate is going about 15 mpg and slam them on. The abs module will push your foot back repeatably to let off the brake so you will feel a vibration sensation in your pedal. I mean your brakes are to small in general as in being the whole system. You won't activate most factory installed abs from a high speed for two reasons. Pads and rotors get a thin gas build up between them this is called brake fad. Secondly, the brakes are to small to lock a wheel up going that fast, or the abs is activating so fast you can't tell. ABS works by sensing when the wheel stops turning to release the pressure for a split second and then reapplies. This is done with basically a small wheel (not your actual wheel) mounted in your rotors (not the vents) there is a sensor that reads between the little holes cut into this wheel and can tell when the wheel stops spinning as the holes stop chopping the signal into pulses. Not all vehicles come with abs in 2000 and I know my jeep doesn't have it and it's an 04. My 04 tundra did have it but pretty sure it was an option then too. I had a limited with the 4.7 full 4 door and dropping rear glass.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I can activate my abs on all my vehicles. I have activated them on my international 4900 with a back hoe trailer. Your best bet to get them to activate is going about 15 mpg and slam them on. The abs module will push your foot back repeatably to let off the brake so you will feel a vibration sensation in your pedal. I mean your brakes are to small in general as in being the whole system. You won't activate most factory installed abs from a high speed for two reasons. Pads and rotors get a thin gas build up between them this is called brake fad. Secondly, the brakes are to small to lock a wheel up going that fast, or the abs is activating so fast you can't tell. ABS works by sensing when the wheel stops turning to release the pressure for a split second and then reapplies. This is done with basically a small wheel (not your actual wheel) mounted in your rotors (not the vents) there is a sensor that reads between the little holes cut into this wheel and can tell when the wheel stops spinning as the holes stop chopping the signal into pulses. Not all vehicles come with abs in 2000 and I know my jeep doesn't have it and it's an 04. My 04 tundra did have it but pretty sure it was an option then too. I had a limited with the 4.7 full 4 door and dropping rear glass.

thanks for the info. I'm certain it has the abs. I bought it at the toyota dealership and they told me it was on this vehicle.

this all gives me better perspective. I've only been thinking about it since I did the brakes and wanted to make sure there were no other issues.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrown View Post
????????? The reason you can't get it to lock up is because the anti lock system is working. If it locked up it would not be working.
A wheel has to get locked before the ABS starts working, the system relieves brake fluid preshure to that wheel. If you notice you will hear a cherp, it all happens pretty fast.

ABS will come on at a high rate of sped if you have the balls to stomp down on the breaks.

Im still not convinced ABS can stop a car faster then I can.