Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-04-2014, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguynextdoor View Post
The low profile dump trailer will drag on the ground when dumping in uneven terrain, i.e. branch/compost disposal sites. It nearly drags on the ground even on a flat paved surface. If you are frequently loading a bobcat or other equipment with ramps, go with the low profile (dropped axles). I went with the regular height because I don't use mine for equipment and because I the site where I dump every day is very rough.

As far as lift type: dual ram sucks. It lifts from the back and won't have the power to lift a very heavy load of soil or stone, especially if the trailer is front heavy. Scissor lift is better and faster, but the telescopic lift, in my opinion, is by far the best option. We frequently load our trailer front heavy because we dump wheel barrows of debris, usually heavy edging from beds, in the front first and work back. My trailer is always front heavy and the telescopic lift has never struggled to lift it. It is a little slower though, but that doesn't matter to me as the power far outweighs the slower up/down. Also there are no hoses or rams under the trailer, so maintenance and repairs are much easier. No need to get under the trailer to grease fittings or repair a leak or a broken ram.

My trailer came with a charging system. It has a plug on the outside of the pump box, so you can run an extension cord to it to charge it, in addition to the regular charge it gets off the truck. Even when using my trailer every day, it's never lost power and I only plugged it into an actual extension cord a few times over the course of the season.
Ok. Thank you for the info. I've been flip flopping between camsuperline or PJ.....I think I'm pulling the trigger on a 14' PJ. The D7 model. It has scissor lift and I believe it's considered a deck over. Found a place that has them for $7150 w/ tarp kit included. Seems reasonable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-04-2014, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm getting a 16 gooseneck kaufmann
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2014, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I'm getting a 16 gooseneck kaufmann
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for your support whiffyspark!
Old 04-21-2014, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaufmanTrailers View Post
Thanks for your support whiffyspark!
Do you have any pictures of actual trailers you could put up or email me?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2014, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a 14' sure trac telescoping piston last week. My one week review goes like this:
Good
Huge, heavy duty, showing up to a job with twice as much matl or two different materials is priceless, not having to rotate my three machines on one trailer any more, easier to hand load or wheelbarrow into

Bad
Slowwww dumping(my truck is a pto), ramps are heavy and awkward, i still have my interstate equip trailer so i try to use that for most equip hauling, low dump height makes long piles and cant load a wheelbarrow directly, light duty compared to my dump. This thing will not hold up to concrete every day.

In conclusion, none of this is anything new. However i would still buy a dump truck first i couldnt haul with this every day. It is a great stepping stone for me to a second truck. The ability to leave it on a job for guys to work out of is great.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I picked up a PJ D9 16' Gooseneck dump. I had a 12' PJ bumper pull before this one. It was very handy and very well made. I sold it for almost what I paid for it 8 years later it held up that well (aside from tires).

It has the scissor lift, onboard charger, and tarp kit built in. I had to modify the 4' extensions to work with my smallest machine (a Toolcat). The sides are 10 gauge and very heavy built for extensions.
I cut 10" off and lowered them down, bolted them back in, and will add a place for a removable batter board in the future to bring it back to 4' if I need it.

I use it for hauling heavy logs and wood chips/shreds and around the ranch. I have had good luck with PJ.. I've seen other brands that looked good, too, but I was happy with my first one.
Attached Images

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing