Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2012, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Motorized backpack sprayers and foggers

Considering adding mosquito and shrub apps for next year. Looking to start small and see where it goes. I use a ride on so hose setups.

Anyone used motorized backpacks? Any model recommendations that will work good? I've looked at solo and sthil online
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a stihl and it's a nice machine other than it being heavy when filled with water! If its a windy day don't plan on using it, but in a very calm day it does good. Be sure to get a face shield and a long sleeve shirt because that mist from insecticides will get on you and it does not feel good!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like an engine drive backpack for shrub treatments. That is different from the Stihl or Solo mist blower type units. Mist blowers are good for mosquito work and not much else. The engine drive backpacks can be regulated as to pressure and output. I have made many posts concerning this.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks green doc. When I get to a computer I will search. Think I remember you suggesting the solo 433 back pack

If I add both services. I would buy a fogger type backpack for Mosquitos and a motorized sprayer type for shrubs. If the shrubs take off I would like a truck and hose setup(which could be used for shrubs, lawn pest, fire ants, and maybe lawn fungicides because of the higher volumes it puts out)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mist blowers for mosquitoes, right. But you can also reach up into trees. Drift is a major factor. Don't apply under calm conditions. Stay out of the mist. Wait for a breeze and stay upwind.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Thanks green doc. When I get to a computer I will search. Think I remember you suggesting the solo 433 back pack

If I add both services. I would buy a fogger type backpack for Mosquitos and a motorized sprayer type for shrubs. If the shrubs take off I would like a truck and hose setup(which could be used for shrubs, lawn pest, fire ants, and maybe lawn fungicides because of the higher volumes it puts out)
Posted via Mobile Device
Unless you know you are going to be spraying acres of shrubs for the exact same pests in one day, an engine drive backpack you custom load might work out better. Fungicides and miticides are not cheap. Especially when you have them in a do it all, know it all tank mix applied to everything whether it needs it or not.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-08-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been using my Solo backpack more than my skid. I do target applications rather than blanket spraying everything. I think its easier to deal with than dragging a hose. The Arag tree gun (ala Greendoc) works great with it.
I now have 2, one for weeds and one for everything else.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Considering adding mosquito and shrub apps for next year. Looking to start small and see where it goes. I use a ride on so hose setups.

Anyone used motorized backpacks? Any model recommendations that will work good? I've looked at solo and sthil online
Posted via Mobile Device
Hit me up with any pm's if you want. I hold a mosquito control license in MA and we have a dedicated truck for it. Solo is a german company they close for a month in the summer, so if you need parts it could take months. We have a solo and two of the Sthils, the 450 is an animal I wont buy anything but, and parts are easy to get, also we have a four wheeler with an air blast sprayer pictured here on previous thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=322950
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Hit me up with any pm's if you want. I hold a mosquito control license in MA and we have a dedicated truck for it. Solo is a german company they close for a month in the summer, so if you need parts it could take months. We have a solo and two of the Sthils, the 450 is an animal I wont buy anything but, and parts are easy to get, also we have a four wheeler with an air blast sprayer pictured here on previous thread

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=322950
Thanks Humble. Sent you a pm