Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-19-2015, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Ya gotta keep spraying them.
Waterproof spray wouldnt work well on these boots. Too much fabric on the outside that allows them to breathe. Sure you could spray the hell out of them with camp dry until they were waterproof, but you would have effectively sealed the boot of air flow... just buy a leather work.boot at that point. GoreTex is waterproof but it allows air to flow through it. This is why GoreTex hiking boots work well for this kind of work.

Besides, not a fan of waterproof sprays.... if want a waterproof boot, buy one. Dont buy goo in a can that may or may not have a negative effect on the leather/stitching of the boot. The only thing I have ever put on my leather boots, when brand new, is Sno-Seal. Its recommended by the manufacturers, all natural beeswax. When im spending $200+ on leather safety toe work boots, I do what I can to make sure they last a long time while meeting my expectations of performance. I have never seen a manufacturer reccomend any boot spray, but have seen some say not to use it. Good nough for me.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My latest pair are called Klamath falls by Columbia. So far been a steal, got them for $23 and change on sale at this mall I parked in to use the parking lot. Called like hiking sneakers or something, not sure how long they are gonna last but so far so good. Nothing bout weatherproof but pretty lite and comfortable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2015, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
The only thing I have ever put on my leather boots, when brand new, is Sno-Seal. Its recommended by the manufacturers, all natural beeswax.
Agree with the thoughts about boot sprays and Sno-Seal. For decades, Sno-Seal was the go to alternative for treating non waterproof boots to make them waterproof. It still does that well and I still use it for leather, non Gore-tex boots. Being natural beeswax based, Sno-Seal actually helps preserve leather, keeping it soft and pliable, and lasts longer than sprays.
But it reduces the boots ability to breathe. Gore-tex pretty much has a lock on the market for long lasting, waterproof, breathable boots. Don't think any of the competitor's versions of Gore-tex have caught up with them yet.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, ended up going with another pair of Oboz for this season. They are the Beartooth Bdry. http://obozfootwear.com/mens/backpacking/beartooth-bdry

I've had them for 3 weeks now and here are some thoughts...

They run true to size, I wear a 12 D and they have a nice snug fit. They offer a lot of ankle support if you have weak ankles and because of that they are really stiff until they get broke in. It took a good solid 10+ hour per day week to get the upper sides broke in enough that I could lace them all the way up without causing blisters from rubbing.

The Bdry is extremely water proof... I've been in swampy conditions non-stop since purchase. The soles offer a ton of grip on hillsides/slopes/whatever.

They are a little heavier so you do feel them at the end of the day. On some days I average 9+ miles walking. They don't hurt your feet, at least mine, but you do know you're wearing them.

So far so good... I need to get a 3 week old pic to show how they look about 10 years old after so much wear.

Name:  20150426_084749 (Large).jpg
Views: 77
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  20150426_084758 (Large).jpg
Views: 76
Size:  49.4 KB
Old 05-16-2015, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

tfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arena landscaping View Post
these were by far my most comfortable boots. I just can't find ones where the soles don't seperate after a year. Had some belleville tacticals' too but they didn't even last a year. I have some red wing's that are water proof and hold up well but are very uncomfortable. I am going to stay away from glued sole away try to only get stiched ones. Had some timberlands a few years ago that were pretty good.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I just got my 16'' Thorogood lineman boots resoled...they're great for climbing but even better for protecting shins from missiles shot forth from the trimmer line.
SRT Climb gear
230lb of tennis elbow