Go Back   LawnSite.com™ - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 06-15-2014, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Can this be resolved?

I don't know if I bought the wrong brand, wrong model, or just have a bad machine. But at any rate, I spent a lot of money for a mower that doesn't work...

In the spring of 2013 I replaced my old Hustler with a new one. It had belt problems the very first time I used it . In fact, it has never worked like my old one did. The dealer told me we were having a very wet spring and things would get better. The dealer told me not to mow when the moisture content was high so I mowed on my lunch break at noon rather than in the evening when it was cool. The dealer told me I was letting the grass get too tall so I mowed on a lower setting. The dealer told me I needed to mow more often so I mowed twice a week. The dealer told me I should have started mowing earlier in the season. By September it was hopeless and I hired someone to bushhog the front yard.
In March 2014 I started mowing for the season. I mowed at the hottest part of the day. I mowed on the highest setting and three days later I went over it on a lower setting. I only ran the mower for an hour a day. I spoke kindly to the mower…
In May it started having belt problems. So, if the mower doesn’t work in the spring when the grass is full of moisture and growing and it doesn’t work in the summer when the grass is dry but tall, what the heck good is it for?
My patience with my new Hustler and with everyone who tells me I need to mow the grass is about gone. I guess I have to buy another mower. Any suggestions on a brand?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Sponsor

Before I can goanywhere I need the model and serial number of your unit. Most of my belt issues in the beginning come from adjustments. Belts stretch and must be adjusted. sounds like you mowed som wet areas that might have put a heavy load on your belts. Simple adjustment is all that is required. What is the length of your idler spring? Under a normal lawn you should be able to mow in the rain.

Brian O
Old 06-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Sponsor

What type of lawn do you have, is it irrigated, do you use weed preventive and fertilizer?
Broadleaf gives us issues at times. Do you know what type of grass you have?
Brian O
Old 07-07-2014, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Model Number is 930115
Serial Number is 12080559

The grass is mostly fescue with a lot of Queen Anne's Lace and other weeds. It is not irrigated or fertilized. There are some wet spots but I don't mow them. I mostly mow around the house and mow paths through the rest.

Thanks for helping with this.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Sponsor

Mowing "a path" scares me. The machine should be able to do it if done correctly. I've been told you should not cut off more than 1/3 the length of the grass. So if your grass is 3" tall you should mow no lower than 2". If your yard is 6" tall you should mow at 4". With this in mind cutting off 1" compared to 2" is huge. Taller grass to push the extra clipping past, longer cycling for the grass to come out of the deck, different wind flow,the list goes on. In really tall grass I like discharging on the already cut grass, less backpressure. Sometimes this meant going around in a circle working my why outwards blowing the grass inwards, or starting on the outside and blow the grass outwards. If you have belt issues and burn up a belt it's normally done because of a load or a mis adjusted belt. I've seen cases where the belt failed for whatever reason and new belt was installed and failed in a matter of days. New belts will stretch. Once you install a new belt and use the mower you must check the tension of the belt. when it stretches, which is normal, it becomes loose and then slips then burns then shreds and we start all over again.
The weeds add to our fun by sticking to the roof of the deck. Low lift blades help with this at times but it also cuts back on your discharge. with the roof full of the tacky weeds adds to the load on the deck belt.
When your belt fails, how does it fail? does it shred in layers or is it a clean cut?
Brian O
Old 07-07-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

The belt shreads in layers.
I mow on the transport height. When it is tall I mow in a circle, going slowly, blowing the grass to the outside. Then I come back in a day or two and mow in rows one way and then at a right angle to that.

I just had someone look at it and he said one of the pullies is bad. I have replaced the pullies several times.

Do you suppose this model is not suited to my needs? When I bought it the dealer talked me out of the next grade up. He said this one was well suited to my needs and he has seen my place--I bought my last mower from him. I can't afford to keep replacing pullies and belts. It just seems like I should get at least one season out of a new mower. I'm so frustrated.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Sponsor

Pulleys normally don't break. They get broken, but rarely do the break. Is this the right machine for your job I don't know. If I had 2000 acres of corn a 6 row combine would do the the job, but a 12 row would be better. That fastrak can cut anything when used within its abilities. Sometimes that just means slow down. I never really liked cutting in the transport. It's called transport for a reason. if you find the need to cut that high a 1/2" wont matter, so lower the deck to the highest setting that is not transport.
Discharge to the cut grass side and keep the engine RPM's up, don't bogg down the unit. Slowing down your blades will have a snowball effect.

Brian O
Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for responding Brian. I'm going to get it fixed one more time and try to make it through the rest of the summer. If things go south, I guess I'll take the loss and get something else next year.