(2) Z930M John Deere 60"
2012 Z925A John Deere 54"
2011 925A John Deere 54"
Exmark Commercial 30 X 2
HRC216HXA X 5
All STIHL, Redmax, and Husqvarna Handheld Equipment
Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My 61" BobCat Predator Pro with fx1000 DFI uses between 2 and 2.5 gph depending on hills and growth. I've used it like a bush hog and it will go through some thick growth without bogging. I expected better fuel usage but I wasn't expecting all the power. I'd buy it again.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesharp View Post
My 61" BobCat Predator Pro with fx1000 DFI uses between 2 and 2.5 gph depending on hills and growth. I've used it like a bush hog and it will go through some thick growth without bogging. I expected better fuel usage but I wasn't expecting all the power. I'd buy it again.
I think I remember a guy saying that Bobcat was getting 1.5 range on there mowers with the DFI which I found that hard to believe because there mowers have the same hydros as the Ferris 3100 and it uses 2.0 GPH also...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2014, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
I think I remember a guy saying that Bobcat was getting 1.5 range on there mowers with the DFI which I found that hard to believe because there mowers have the same hydros as the Ferris 3100 and it uses 2.0 GPH also...
Posted via Mobile Device
IIRC, that was puppy who said that, and also IIRC, he got that statement from Bobcat themselves.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I was told by Bobcat that they had done their own in house testing and had seen below 1.5 gph on their Predator Pro. I'm not disputing what I was told, but from all the numbers I've heard or gotten on the Kawasaki DFI, no one else has come close to these numbers.

I've gone around and around with Hustler and Kawasaki making it known most people will not spend the extra money to buy fuel injection without seeing a decrease in fuel consumption. The supposedly better starting capability and having no choke to deal with, and the supposedly better response to load is wonderful, but not enough to sell this engine over a carburetor model for more money. Most people are looking for the fuel savings part of the equation more than anything with fuel injection, and rightly so.

The reason I said supposedly is for the fact I know beyond doubt Kohler's closed-loop efi will definitely start better and easier, respond to load much faster, which in return virtually eliminates rpm drag that comes with a mechanical governor. The fuel consumption is definitely decreased by at least 25% to more in some instances, and I know this from personal experience over an 8 yr. time span. I cannot say this about the Kawasaki open-loop dfi due to no run experience, but from all the information I've gathered and heard from others, the Kawasaki DFI will not come close to performing as well as Kohler's EFI.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I was told by Bobcat that they had done their own in house testing and had seen below 1.5 gph on their Predator Pro. I'm not disputing what I was told, but from all the numbers I've heard or gotten on the Kawasaki DFI, no one else has come close to these numbers.

I've gone around and around with Hustler and Kawasaki making it known most people will not spend the extra money to buy fuel injection without seeing a decrease in fuel consumption. The supposedly better starting capability and having no choke to deal with, and the supposedly better response to load is wonderful, but not enough to sell this engine over a carburetor model for more money. Most people are looking for the fuel savings part of the equation more than anything with fuel injection, and rightly so.

The reason I said supposedly is for the fact I know beyond doubt Kohler's closed-loop efi will definitely start better and easier, respond to load much faster, which in return virtually eliminates rpm drag that comes with a mechanical governor. The fuel consumption is definitely decreased by at least 25% to more in some instances, and I know this from personal experience over an 8 yr. time span. I cannot say this about the Kawasaki open-loop dfi due to no run experience, but from all the information I've gathered and heard from others, the Kawasaki DFI will not come close to performing as well as Kohler's EFI.
I agree with you 100% Puppy.
Stan