Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2014, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icareindy View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply! I don't have a mulching kit, I use trimmer traps on all of my commercial mowers. How do you mulch? A kit, gator blades ? In addition , if you're bagging, how do you suggest stating on time within routes if the trailer/ truck bed is being filled with debris? And, during that period do you charge for disposal?
staying on time? you dont, you just do one after the other, by the time fall comes, the schedule is all out of whack anyways. you and they have to accept the fact that its fall and things take more time than in the summer. its a fact of life. if your truck gets full by noon, you go empty it and start back where you left off, no big deal

yes, charge for disposal, unless its only one mower bag full of leaves, dont gouge the customer lol
Old 08-16-2014, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Most of my lawns are corner lots, a handful with fences and narrow gates. The average mow takes 27 minutes , some faster, some longer depending on trimming and edging. Someone mentioned "charging a premium when the time on a lawn reaches a pre determined time." With a 27 minute average, at what time would you guys/gals begin charging a premium?

I love the two visit 330 minimum, thank you. It helps to see you're average hourly rates for full clean ups. If anyone has a defined leaf removal and fall clean up agreement, I'd love to see it. My email is doug@icarelawncareindy.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersman02 View Post
We mow during summer at the mowing price, stop mowing when grass stops and leaves are more prevalent. We do 2x fall cleanups at most properties. Some are weekly, most are every other. These get charged at the fall cleanup rate of a minimum of 330 for 2 visits. Average out around 50-70/hr. Everything is blown out, mulched then bagged and taken offsite. Fall cleanups are a whole different game then mowing and require much extra time
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2014, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i just mow over them like normal. even in the fall i mow over them like normal and mulch them up while side discharging. you have to do a few extra passes but eventually they disappear. more leaves means more passes. it helps if you use blades like Oregon G6 or similar.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icareindy View Post
Most of my lawns are corner lots, a handful with fences and narrow gates. The average mow takes 27 minutes , some faster, some longer depending on trimming and edging. Someone mentioned "charging a premium when the time on a lawn reaches a pre determined time." With a 27 minute average, at what time would you guys/gals begin charging a premium?

I love the two visit 330 minimum, thank you. It helps to see you're average hourly rates for full clean ups. If anyone has a defined leaf removal and fall clean up agreement, I'd love to see it. My email is doug@icarelawncareindy.com.

Posted via Mobile Device
This is our agreement for mowing-
Weekly Mowing- May through early october
C=Grass will be mowed and trimmed weekly or as needed. All grass will be blown off entryways and sidewalks, debris and loose litter will also be removed.

On the backside of the agreement:Service will include weekly mowing, weed whipping and blowing walks and driveways to remove clippings.
Additional Charges- Set mowing price is subject to change for biweekyl mowing(we dont do this anymore) cutting of extra long grass due to skipping a scheduled mowing or scheduling a "one time" mowing

Note: it says NOTHING about fall cleanups, only tenative dates when the mowing seasons ends. This leaves it up to the contractor when the mowing season is done

For fall cleanups
Fall Cleanup (two visits- October 15th- November 30th)
This service includes removal of leaves from turf and landscape areas using a cominations of blowing, raking, mowing, mulching and bagging.

On the back of the proposal
Fall Cleanup- 2 visits- first between mid october and early november, second visit 2 to 3 weeks later
Service will include 2 visits to ensure thorough cleanup. Removal of leaves afrom lawn and landscape areas by blowing, raking, mowing, mulching and bagging debris. Debris bags are the responsibility of the customer. XXXXX can remove bags but a disposal fee will be charged. (We havent left a bag at a customers property since the 2nd year of doing this. We now using a leaf loader and EVERYTHING gets put in our dump. Customers dont have the option of putting in bags, its a HUGE pita.)

Additional Charges- Fall cleanup price is subject to change if grass is extra long. Customer will be bill $50/manhour to compensate for extra time spent for cleanup. If we are unable to complete the second visit due to late signup or weather conditions, we will adjust billing to $50/Manhour.

This last additional charge part is important, While most of our customers have us mowing throughout the year, there are some that just have us take care of the leaves. We do charge extra (typically the price of a mowing) if the grass is like over 7" long and has to be cut first before anything. Even if you mulch everything first, when you start baggin you will pickup some of this grass and have to haul more off.