search sponsored by:
Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-28-2013, 03:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic
Wow, that sucks to hear. Sorry for your troubles, but I kinda figured a first year run would have them. I know that doesn't make you feel any better though.

TLS went ahead and bought one. So far he hasn't reported any issues either, so maybe it's just a fluke with the one you have that's giving you troubles.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:51 AM
LawnSite Member
Lazer Z w/Kohler Red Tech Engine

Current update on Kohler Red Tech Engine, machine now has about 1150 hrs:

Operator was starting the machine and heard a loud "pop". Engine wouldn't start
but cranked (very easy .... Too easy). Checked fuel filter, oil and plugs...had spark and compression.

Decided to pull valve cover, cranked engine ... Nothing moving...checked other side...same thing. Checked into cam cost and dreaded paying for or actually doing the job.

Mentioned it while at the dealer and he said Kohler just extended the internal engine parts warranty from 3 to 4 YEARS! I had know idea, even about the 3 years :-)

Got a call a few days later and sure enough cam gear was wiped. (I even think it's a plastic gear). Dealer was leaning toward complete engine replacement but had to get Kohler rep to take a look at it for approval.

A week later, Kohler gave the ok for a COMPLETE ENGINE REPLACEMENT, not a short block but complete. I'm shocked and thrilled at the same time. Getting a new wiring harness too.

Machine is in decent shape and now it's getting a new engine under warranty. Thanks Kohler for standing behind your product.

However, I'm having issues with two other machines. Both have Kohlers., one Red Tech, one not...the problem is the oil pan gaskets are leaking, badly. Looks like they will be going in after the engine replacement is complete. At least I was able to get a loaner. Looks like I'll have it for awhile as I'm having to have three machines worked on.