Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2014, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I would remove that thing ASAP.
Appears this went a good ten inches over his head. I'm with you. Terrible idea. May he never learn how indefensible it is.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Appears this went a good ten inches over his head. I'm with you. Terrible idea. May he never learn how indefensible it is.
America is the land of the lawsuits, not Canada.

Moreover, if I wish, I could leave poisoned food on my fenced property for critters to eat and it would be the same thing. You trespass at your own risk. Just like you can't blame the owner of a properly fenced pool. Same thing here.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I would remove that thing ASAP.
Well we can agree on something

Very dangerous for small animals I'd fry your face on it if one of my animals hit it or even worse a child, anyone's child

2014 JD 920M 7-Iron Pro 48" 23.5 hp Kawi
Echo - 210, 225
5x10 (upgrading winter)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
Arthur Schopenhauer, (1788 – 1860)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntide View Post
Well we can agree on something

Very dangerous for small animals I'd fry your face on it if one of my animals hit it or even worse a child, anyone's child
My dear friend, the mesh is only electrified from 11pm to 6am. What the hell is your child doing climbing over my fence at night???

Like I said, unless the animal climbs OVER the fence, it won't be able to reach the mesh. And given the backyard is about 8,000 sq ft and the mesh is 36 sq ft, I don't see a real problem.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

My electrician buddy made a mouse trap out of and electrified cookie sheet with a dollup of peanut butter in the middle. He put in in the middle of the concrete garage floor. The thing was lethal, and didn't leave much mouse for disposal. Just a smoldering charcoal leftover. Lol, sick bastards....
Old 08-05-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crammin'Mows View Post
My electrician buddy made a mouse trap out of and electrified cookie sheet with a dollup of peanut butter in the middle. He put in in the middle of the concrete garage floor. The thing was lethal, and didn't leave much mouse for disposal. Just a smoldering charcoal leftover. Lol, sick bastards....
I'm jealous

I guess he must have used a transformer to increase the voltage. This will be my next step (this afternoon I found out that voles are back again). The transformer of a microwave oven or simply using part of a bug zapper. Though I'm going to reduce the time it is electrified as 2000+ volts means serious business.

If you have more specific details of his setup, I would be grateful.

P.S. My last resort will be renting a Kubota KX-41 and digging a trench 2 feet deep, 1 foot wide and about 150 feet long to install metallic mesh below ground (as well as above ground along the chain link fence - the rest of the fence is pvc & wood).
Old 08-12-2014, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't waste your time with my creation because you will only be able to kill one vole.

Here's what happened; I succeeded to kill one vole on the first night I put it out. But after that, the voles went under the mesh and damaged the lawn. They never went on top of the mesh and they never went right between the two mesh where they would get an electric shock.

I am baffled by how smart voles are.

OTOH, I am glad to report to you that 4000V @ 0.6 amps means immediate death to a vole...