Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2013, 04:52 AM
LawnSite Member

When Is The Best Time To OVERSEED In Massachusetts?

Greetings,

Looking forward to getting my lawn back after this LONG winter, I am planning on overseeding with Black Beauty ULTRA this spring.

Just wondering when is the best time to start this process?

I was thinking first week of MAY?

thanx
Old 04-08-2013, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably want to make sure your soil temps are above 50 degrees, and is going to stay there. You can seed under that temp but you will have your seed stay dormant until temps reach that 50 or higher on soil level.
Good luck with your project.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get the seed in the ground as early as possible... it takes time to soak up water and get a firm planting in the soil, before it will germinate... the quicker its ready,,, the quicker it will germinate when conditions are right... I like to put down seed as soon as the snow is gone and cleanup is accomplished... usually there is a period of Freeze/thaw that will establish soil contact and plant the seed at the correct depth w/out any extra work...

If you or someone else has put down crabgrass control you're out of luck, of course... you may already know that...
Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanx guys I called my irrigation company they are planning on opening up my system the 25th and I am planning on putting the seed down that weekend.

I have not put down any pre emergent so i am good on that.

I figure with temps hovering around midd 55 in the day and high 30s the end of april should be good.

SMALLAXE thanx for all your help I see u answer alot of questions US rookies really appreciate it.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The best time to seed in Massachusetts is September 1st every year. If you can avoid it, never seed in the spring time as you're seeding at the time of year when Mother Nature is going to grow her Crabgrass and Weeds. If that's not enough, she's got droughts, hot temperatures, and funguses like Pythium to wreck your seed jobs. If you seed in the spring time, you also cannot apply products to stunt the growth of this stuff that she's throwing at you (unless you buy a very expensive product called Tupersan).

If you seed in the fall (September 1st 'cause you need 60 days to grow Bluegrass), you won't have to compete with all of her crap or buy any expensive products.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its funny how some people live in mortal fear of CG and have to have pre-m for the whole season no matter what ... I NEVER use pre-M...

Why do you suppose there is such a DIFFERENCE??? Why are some lawns able to survive w/out CG problems???