Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-09-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's why it is important to learn HOW to think,,, not just WHAT to think...

Everybody can get data, but the ability to understand it correctly,,, can be a problem...

Some people see brown grass and think fungi, w/out ever checking the root zone for moisture...
other people see brown grass and turn on the water w/out ever checking the root zone for moisture...
educate that...
Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

There's a few very successful young guys on this site. I went through some of what you did. I'm 19 and have 35 regular mowing accounts and go to school full time for Turfgrass management. It can be stressful being younger because stuff like auto insurance for a commercial truck is insane at this age. Also my accountant never took me seriously and stuff like that gets on my nerves.
Have you ever thought about working for someone else for a little bit and learning the industry? then go on your own
Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant11 View Post
There's a few very successful young guys on this site. I went through some of what you did. I'm 19 and have 35 regular mowing accounts and go to school full time for Turfgrass management. It can be stressful being younger because stuff like auto insurance for a commercial truck is insane at this age. Also my accountant never took me seriously and stuff like that gets on my nerves.
Have you ever thought about working for someone else for a little bit and learning the industry? then go on your own
Sound advise, Sack your accountant. If he is not taking you seriously you may be better served with someone that will.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I say do it. This might sound cliche but, you never know what you can accomplish until you try. If you are the type to constantly set goals and make plans on how to achieve them, you will probably do well. Growth and success take time, persistence, and good planning. If things don't work out like you thought in a few years, you are still young and can figure out what you want to do in another career field. To be honest with you, you still need time and experience to even figure out what you want to do. At 18 you simply don't have enough experience to make a good career decision, unless you have had some good guidance along the way. Trying to make a go of your business will give you time to consider all your options.

edit: Oh yeah, ALWAYS have a plan B no matter what!!!

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino

Last edited by Blade Runners; 10-09-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for all your advice guys, it's helpful to hear from people actually in this field
(2) Echo Weed-whackers
Husqvarna hedge trimmers
Poulan chain saw
Powermate edger
Old 10-11-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Landscaping View Post
I'm 18, graduated high school last year and have 4 full time accounts and 3 part time. This is a job that I would like to do the rest of my life but lately I've been taking a lot of heat from my friends and family to find a steady job. It almost seems like my business is a big joke to all of them. With all of the advertising I've been doing with no responses it seems hard to believe that my business will grow. Did any of you guys go through the same b.s?
Look, I'm 41 have a BBA and an MBA and I can guarantee you there are plenty of people on this site with only a high school education and are bringing in multiple times what I am making... and I do ok. I cut lawns all the way through college and told myself I would never do that again after I got a "real job." Well long story short I could never find a "real job" (that I liked) that would allow me the freedom to be my own boss and really build something that I could call my own. I still get the "you need to find a real job and get out of the heat" (etc.) from my mother "after all you have an MBA....". She's a very caring woman and just hates that I work out in the dirt and heat all the time. But hey, I like what I do. Still building my business though. As far as the advertising... try different ideas, methods. don't spend a heck of a lot of $ on any until you see what works. When you find that one or two that gets you steady customers stick with those and put a little money and time into those that get results. It's taken me years of trial and error, and a good amount of $ to find what works for me. And strangely enough it's one of the cheapest forms of advertising I can do that has by far the best results. I've done full color "professional" postcards, flyer mailings, print ads, you name it I've probably done it. But when I finally found that one thing that got the best results that's about the only form of advertising I do now... and it is cheap on the wallet but a little time consuming. But what works for one person, one area, may be a total flop for you and/or your area. PM me and I'll be happy to let you know what it is but again it may not work for you and your area. And as far as people acting like your biz is a "big joke"... I would bet that behind some of this is a little bit of jealousy that you have the where-with-all and the stones to take the risk of running your own biz. Treat it like the biz it is and stick with it, success for 99% of biz owners doesn't come overnight. I can't tell you how many times in the beginning (after college) that I threw my hands up and said "I'm done... going to get a real job." But I stuck with it, just had to keep my emotions out of it. Set yourself realistic goals on obtaining X number of new customers and make it your life's mission to hit that goal. Then after you reach it, set yourself another goal but just a little higher... then repeat. I know I've been long winded here but one more piece of advice that I wish I had taken to heart in the beginning... if you can't pay cash for it YOU DON'T NEED IT. Best of luck.
14x7 landscaping trailer
12x6 P&T hydro dump trailer w/leaf box
We run Gravely ZTRs, Honda 21"s, Kawasaki trimmers, Redmax Backpacks, LittleWonder loader
Old 10-11-2013, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

2012/2013 statistics from Bureau of Labor Statistics, (since these are new, the changes in employment since 2008 would be included),

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm
Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I started landscaping for other companies straight out of high school all while doing whatever work I could find on the side. I went to college and got a degree in business administration $$$, (that i am still paying on & not utilizing & no, owning my biz is not a reflection of that degree TRUST ME). I worked alot of nights and weekends but it paid off. Working for the other companies was the best learning experience i could ask for! One co. did strictly installs at new homes, the next one did maintenance, installed water features etc, the last one I did mowing, equipment maintenance and snow removal. (of which my company does all of these things now I learned alot of diversified skills in this field from these places all while building up my own clients. Sure I was a small timer, lost some along the way and gained and lost more but I pushed on. When I finally took the leap of faith I had an idea of what i was getting into. But to my surprise I had no idea how to run a business! I knew how to work, keep people happy but accounting, payroll, insurance & taxes!!? Long story short. Stay out of debt as much as possible, (cash is king!). Being your own boss is possibly the greatest choice you can make if you can make it work. Its not for everyone. (Waiting on checks to pay your own bills can be stressful as f&*k!) Educate yourself in the industry (through school or working for someone else). Be friendly with the competition, you never know they may throw you some work some day. Being knowledeable in this field IS a fallback plan if you really love working outdoors. Companies are ALWAYS hiring experienced help. Thats not the goal but you never know what will happen. No matter what, chase your dreams and do what makes YOU happy! I had people tell me the same things they are telling you. Everyone is a nay sayer when you take risks. Most people hate on all of us that are "LIVING THE DREAM" (I say that with utmost sincerity and total sarcasm, stick around and you will understand : ). Best of luck to you! Remember: You gotta work like you want it. If you dont someone else will take it!
Old 10-12-2013, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

No support at all. Thing is my parents did janitorial/lawn care? Got a few nephews that try to save face say they will help then stay up all night and sleep all day just to buy them more time, there now 28 and 30 years old. My bro says no way he is going to get a real job lol. Anyways I fell your pain.