Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2013, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

solo op tree insurance

Im a solo operation and I went to get a quote on tree work insurance and they said I needed at least one employee other than myself. Any solo guys have a company they use that insures one man operations for large trees? Thanks
Old 11-02-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I first got into the industry as an arborist, I had the same problem. Their reasoning is that if you get injured while alone, you are going to lie their and more likely bleed out before the property owner finds you. If you have an employee with you he can call 911 and apply first aid.

The way I got around this in the very beginning was I hired a friend part time. I only used him when I had take downs, jobs where I had to climb, or when using a large chipper. He was on the books and covered by workmanship comp. WC is based off of a percentage of payroll, so if you are only using him on the jobs where you need him for insurance, it won't cost to much. The problem with having a guy part time and only using him when you need him, is that without a regular check you will probably loose him to someone else. I used a buddy who was a firefighter, so he had 4-5 days off a week. He had a regular check making 100k a yr, but enjoyed the extra couple hundred I could throw him for a days work when I needed him.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

solo op tree insurance

Thanks a lot. That's pretty much what I found out and thought of. Not ready for the part timer for now. Looks like I will just have to refer or contract out if I have any jobs. I did get the insurance for all my landscaping and maintenance. Now I know once I get an employee I can advertise for tree work. Thanks again
Old 02-23-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You really shouldn't do most tree work alone. Especially climbing. If you get injured while you are up there?
Old 02-23-2014, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't climb. I was looking at easier tree jobs, but until I get an employee I can't get the insurance. So until then I will stick to the lawn care side until finances allow expansion into tree work.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The same goes for a lot of things like an auto shop with a lift. No cars come off the ground when you are by yourself. OHSA will straighten you out quick.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szykan View Post
I don't climb. I was looking at easier tree jobs, but until I get an employee I can't get the insurance. So until then I will stick to the lawn care side until finances allow expansion into tree work.
That's good.