Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
One suggestion,
Walker MB with mulching deck.

All walkers don't bag…

You can get a mini B with a mulching deck for half the cost of a GHS walker.
You should check it out.
I have heard about the Walker mulching deck but again the issue here is sometimes you have to bag here.

How do the Walker mulch decks handle overgrown grass...? I also like to mow high. As in above 4". Thought Walker's maxed out at 4"...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2014, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I have heard about the Walker mulching deck but again the issue here is sometimes you have to bag here.

How do the Walker mulch decks handle overgrown grass...? I also like to mow high. As in above 4". Thought Walker's maxed out at 4"...?
Posted via Mobile Device

If you want to bag AND mulch then it's an exmark navigator (can still do this with walker but then it gets much more expensive.)

trouble is you're back to well over ten thousand dollars either way. (with a new machine)

I think the super B cuts above 4" and does an awesome job with overgrown grass, can often handle it in a single pass with its 52" deck… but its also a 27 EFI and WELL over $10,000.

you seem to like walk behinds.

Id find me a Ferris FW 35 in a 48" deck.
and a 36" DD.

However, my wife would insist on a grasshopper 600 series with a 48" and her point is hard to argue.

Vac, discharge or mulch in a reasonably small foot print that is Tiger Tank tough and has existed as a brand nearly for ever.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Years back I had considered a "B" GHS Walker with a 36" Deck. Decided against it due to rutting and a bias against sit down mowers here.

In all seriousness I'll stick it out with my current assortment of mowers. BOP duallies, yBravo25 and Toro TimeMasters.

I'm going to speak openly about my doubts about the viability of applications bringing in 80% of my revenue vs mowing. I only want application accounts where clients can maintain 3" or higher mowing height and they CANNOT repeatedly ignore my cultural coaching protocols. I only want the nicest and generally healthiest lawn in my cue.

Realistic or Not...? Definitely a more complicated growth model.

Rather put $8-12k towards application equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Years back I had considered a "B" GHS Walker with a 36" Deck. Decided against it due to rutting and a bias against sit down mowers here.

In all seriousness I'll stick it out with my current assortment of mowers. BOP duallies, yBravo25 and Toro TimeMasters.

I'm going to speak openly about my doubts about the viability of applications bringing in 80% of my revenue vs mowing. I only want application accounts where clients can maintain 3" or higher mowing height and they CANNOT repeatedly ignore my cultural coaching protocols. I only want the nicest and generally healthiest lawn in my cue.

Realistic or Not...? Definitely a more complicated growth model.

Rather put $8-12k towards application equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
with the proper application program and coaching you can make poor lawns nice.

If the client doesn't want to or can't maintain cutting at 3" or higher you offer them mowing… make it an application company that also does mowing, rather than a mowing company that offer applications.

http://www.turfcodirect.com/store/Sp...ign=T760-34167
Old 07-16-2014, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK- here are the facts.

Better Outdoor Products was sold at 10:30 AM-EDT on Friday June 27, 2014. Per the agreements, I am not allowed to disclose the buyer, so stop asking me. But, I'll say this; it's a company that EVERYONE HERE KNOWS. They will announce the deal when THEY ARE READY.

In the meantime, all of the company's assets have been relocated to their facility. The new owner is busy restocking ALL of Better's parts and accessories which will soon be available once-again via the website, just like normal. New mowers will be available for purchase in MY2015, but most likely under a different brand.

One reason this deal took SO INCREDIBLY LONG, is that I refused to abandon our customers and our suppliers. I've spent the last three years fighting-off foreclosure threats by my bank while simultaneously keeping almost 3,000 customers going, paying-down our vendor debts and looking for a partner. We finally found a good one.

So, to all the "armchair experts" and professional loudmouths out there who've never done anything that amounted to a hill of beans nor probably ever will- let me send a warm and heartfelt Neener-Neener. Now, go find ya another dog to kick, so you don't feel like such a loser yourself.

To all our customers, friends and supporters I say thank you. You're the reason we made it.

gp
Old 07-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Moderator, Online Communities

and, on that note, I believe we can put this one to bed

thanks all