Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
If you think that you are the safest in your area(That appears to be the message you wish to convey) and you believe that this could be what will make your business grow because that seems to be a major concern of people in your area, then let me make a suggestion on conveying that message.

Chemlawn used to have everything plastered with their "Our Responsible Approach" statement Invoices, estimate forms, flyers, advertising materials, etc...

It's been many years since I've seen it but I think it went something like this.

"We use only the finest liquid and dry products. We apply them in a responsible manner and make every effort to minimize exposure to pets and children." There was a couple of other sentences I can't remember but you get the idea...

I think if this is important to you, you should spend less time on the good vs. bad angle (which has the possibility of making you look worse in other ways if carried too far) and spend more time on the "Safety" is your main concern, and you are very "Responsible" in what and how you apply.

Concentrate on your approach to these principles and leave other people and things out of the equation...Short, to the point and printed on everything your customer might possibly see.
The "responsible use" phrase has come to mind numerous times in all honestly. I do wonder why they dropped that message though.

I won't even apply herbicide for non fertilization clients and a minimum mowing height qualifier has to be meet. This will aleinate some older folks who can't stand the grass over 2.75" but that's tough. Major emphasis on weed prevention through a well feed canopy of taller grass. Honestly spot spraying short mowed turf is a huge pita and the weeds are harder...much harder to find. Taller mowed turf they stick out like a sore thumb in contrast so spot spraying works but is time consuming.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
The "responsible use" phrase has come to mind numerous times in all honestly. I do wonder why they dropped that message though.

I won't even apply herbicide for non fertilization clients and a minimum mowing height qualifier has to be meet. This will aleinate some older folks who can't stand the grass over 2.75" but that's tough. Major emphasis on weed prevention through a well feed canopy of taller grass. Honestly spot spraying short mowed turf is a huge pita and the weeds are harder...much harder to find. Taller mowed turf they stick out like a sore thumb in contrast so spot spraying works but is time consuming.
Posted via Mobile Device

They dropped that message because Trugreen bought out Chemlawn over 15 yrs ago and TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO.

I must have misunderstood you earlier. I thought you were interested in expanding your business by emphasizing the things you do right instead of what others do wrong. I'm not sure what you're looking for here...
Old 02-28-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think we are on the same page. I'm really trying to push the "Lawn Trainer" angle hard. I will never be total organic. It would be an absolute pita to control weeds without herbicide use...but I want the client to understand that picking apart my programs in any way is detrimental to crowding out weeds. Vibrant healthy grass is naturally more resistant to all diseases...thus reduced opportunity for weeds to compete.

Margins are tight here in applications. I know what the others are charging but I clearly want my focus on quality and of motto of lawn that is treated as if it's my own. Clients lawn looks iffy...I look bad. Quality over quantity.

Hitting up a potential client up front with a list of qualifiers or else won't work. The marketing approach has to be positive feel good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-01-2014, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This discussion highlights how politics and misinformation impact our industry. Prominent posters on this board trumpet their "organic" programs, but when you read their program description on their website, they list things like Barricade, Dimension, and conventional postemergent products as part of their program. They list conventional fertilizers, too, but add in a round or two of compost tea apps -- and all of a sudden they're organic!

Phasthound pointed out how backwards the EPA Minimum Risk program is -- it contains products that are known skin sensitizers, known carcinogens, and are more toxic than conventional products.

When I market services or talk to customers, I don't bring up any of the environmental or health issues unless I'm asked. Most of the time people don't care about it or assume that the products are already safe. If someone does ask about the safety, I tell them that all of the products we use are registered with the EPA and that they are all the same active ingredients that you can buy at your local garden center (I don't use RUPs in my programs).

A lot of times, I think we're worried about how to make lawn care more appealing to people who don't like our existence and would never buy from us, no matter what we used on the lawns.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You are entitled to your opinion, but do not put words in my mouth.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-02-2014, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is my approach:

Potential client is worried about pet safety so I offer to do the front only.

Potential client is worried about their children or themselves, move on to next lead.

I once started a client's lawn and had done two applications when I found out both the husband and the wife were lawyers and she was pregnant. She had hinted at safety concerns when I originally quoted them.

I fired them. I do not need that kind of exposure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2014, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-02-2014, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTPTURF View Post
Here is my approach:

Potential client is worried about pet safety so I offer to do the front only.

Potential client is worried about their children or themselves, move on to next lead.

I once started a client's lawn and had done two applications when I found out both the husband and the wife were lawyers and she was pregnant. She had hinted at safety concerns when I originally quoted them.

I fired them. I do not need that kind of exposure.
Posted via Mobile Device
definitely a smart move