Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
54 acres. How many times did they make the same mistake mixing?
When I have large areas to apply liquid fertilizer, I am not buying it in 2.5 gallon jugs. I have 55 gallon drums or even larger totes delivered to the site. I have a 150 gallon ride on sprayer but most Golf Course have 300 gallon ride on. The equipment size is not the issue. the wrong drum or tote delivered to the site is the issue

A Roundup LIKE product was more than likely a generic glyphosate that came in a 55 gallon drum or larger tote. I believe the $ 8.50 per hour applicator didn't read the label on the wrong drum and just mixed as told at least 1 gallon per acre of glyphosate which is enough to more than kill the turf.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am wondering if it was TG/CL???? It sounds like something they would do.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 05-17-2014, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It could be anyone these days. I could do 75 acres in three days by myself with my ZMax.

It is curious though because youd need a little over 1000 gallons low volume mix which means either someone made one or two large tank mixes or 25 reloads of a 50 gallon ride on.

Any first year tech can tell the difference between three way and roundup.

I don't care what it says on any label.

I wonder if they were supposed to run one of the exotics like Momentum or what not.

They "could" be confused with roundup.

Also...curious. If they mixed the roundup at the selective weed control rate low vol is there enough AI to waste the turf like that?

Thats 1.1 or so ounces per thousand AI. Glypho is weak at that rate.

I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't some sort of sabotage too.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

I am wondering if it was TG/CL???? It sounds like something they would do.

A commenter on one of the articles I read mentioned the contractors name. I will not repeat it because I can't verify it. I just hope insurance handles the claim and they continue in business.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
A commenter on one of the articles I read mentioned the contractors name. I will not repeat it because I can't verify it. I just hope insurance handles the claim and they continue in business.
lol

no need to say anything else...
Old 05-18-2014, 03:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
It could be anyone these days. I could do 75 acres in three days by myself with my ZMax.

It is curious though because youd need a little over 1000 gallons low volume mix which means either someone made one or two large tank mixes or 25 reloads of a 50 gallon ride on.

Any first year tech can tell the difference between three way and roundup.

I don't care what it says on any label.

I wonder if they were supposed to run one of the exotics like Momentum or what not.

They "could" be confused with roundup.

Also...curious. If they mixed the roundup at the selective weed control rate low vol is there enough AI to waste the turf like that?

Thats 1.1 or so ounces per thousand AI. Glypho is weak at that rate.

I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't some sort of sabotage too.
Cool season turf is not as tolerant of RoundUp as is bermuda or zoysia. You can use up to 16 oz for roadside bermuda release, 4 oz for cool season grass. RoundUp is also more active when applied at low volume.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-18-2014, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We had a company last year smoke most of a high end trailer park and then it happened again to them and they smokes a bunch more houses later that year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2014, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I realize they weren't back packing it. Even with a larger spraying system there would be several fill ups. There's a lot of money in a 70+ acre application AND A LOT OF RISK if this companies only line of defense was an "$8.50" an hour tech they deserve everything they get. Plenty of money and risk in that job to justify a supervisor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
When I have large areas to apply liquid fertilizer, I am not buying it in 2.5 gallon jugs. I have 55 gallon drums or even larger totes delivered to the site. I have a 150 gallon ride on sprayer but most Golf Course have 300 gallon ride on. The equipment size is not the issue. the wrong drum or tote delivered to the site is the issue

A Roundup LIKE product was more than likely a generic glyphosate that came in a 55 gallon drum or larger tote. I believe the $ 8.50 per hour applicator didn't read the label on the wrong drum and just mixed as told at least 1 gallon per acre of glyphosate which is enough to more than kill the turf.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Cool season turf is not as tolerant of RoundUp as is bermuda or zoysia. You can use up to 16 oz for roadside bermuda release, 4 oz for cool season grass. RoundUp is also more active when applied at low volume.
Section 8 on most Roundup labels entitled CHEMICAL MOWING, gives away the original goal of Monsanto's R & D. It also gives release rates for various species of turf. Glyphosate was actually a mistake by John Franz PhD of Monsanto. Look him up in the inventor hall of fame. Dr Franz was trying to develop a PGR and found by mistake the Most financially successful pesticide ever developed.

My own yard is common Bermuda and for several years I only mowed it 8 times a year and it never grew over 6 inch tall. I used Glyphosate as a PGR as a very successful experiment. My goal was to Keep a Dark Green lawn and at the same time not cut it. I have posted several times about Chemical Mowing.

Cadzilla & fl-landscapes

When it comes to multiply mixes, I am suggesting the wrong Chemical was delivered in one Bulk Container. The Tech could have followed all the Direction to a Tee. But it might not of been his fault If it was labeled wrong.

Don't Discount a Unhappy Employee/competitor who spiked the Mix. I can't verify the truth of this but. A local story circulated years ago about a Company that had their chemical room broken into. Only cases of Roundup were missing. The Crooks poured the Roundup in the Cab Over truck nurse tanks and took the Empty jugs. The story goes that after a week customer start complaining their yard isn't getting Greener. at 10 day it is yellow etc etc.