Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-21-2013, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Member

you are right, herler. however, I could use another account and if all went to plan, the money would be good for me. its not a lot to some but every little bit helps when you are a single man operation. i guess i just have to weather the storm as of now and see where it leads me. if things go astray, i dont have any qualms with cutting it off. I think its a mix of he just wants to save some cash, and he still wants to do something around his house even though hes partially disabled.

2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Hemi Sport
6.5x14' tandem axle trailer
Exmark Lazer Z 52" 2013
Exmark Commercial 30" push/walk behind
Stihl FS90R trimmer
Stihl FC90 stick edger
Stihl HL90K Hedge trimmer
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Extreme Trimmer Racks
Old 05-21-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLandscapingLLC View Post
now that you mention it valk, he did say directly that he has no way of edging, trimming or blowing. so i guess he will only be getting that once a month. im kinda in a spot now because i had to answer him right then and it was probably not the best answer. im thinking it will probably go down like this. we will each start it out. in about 6-8 weeks he will either realize how much work it is and ask me to go ahead and just take it every 2 weeks OR, he will attempt to do the very least he can do and ill just have to knock on his door and tell him its just not working out and part ways. if i choose the second, then there are 2 possibilities there as well. either A, he says see ya, or 2 (yeah i said A, then 2, ) he says take it every 2 weeks.
If he doesnt do the trimming (which he probably doesnt) just charge him extra. Me personally I wouldn't mess With it. To much hassle.like someone said he is probably going to missing spots left and right and then you have to come behind him to get them.

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

if you have people asking for services and they are willing to work around your schedule and it's on your route or area for the day, the way I see it is, it's just an extra dollar.

I know several instances over the years we've had neighbors come out while we were at one property and ask us to cut theirs once, or tell us they would be on vacation next week and would we mind getting theirs. A lot of them have turned into regular clients.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

The way I see most things is, if you can make someone love you than they are going to tell others and so on. I'm all the time picking up non costomers pine straw and cutting hanging limbs and all sorts of little things. From this They all want me to give them cards to give other non costomers. I get a lot of good paying one time jobs due to my kindness. My company's name is I care lawn care for a reason.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You may derive a lot of personal satisfaction from helping him out...can't knock that.
I love working for older folks (most of the time). They have a pretty good feel for honest/hard work and are generally appreciative.
IFF this doesn't work out well, then just move on. In today's economy, he'll find someone else.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've had requests identical to this, only we have to mow on at least a weekly basis up here. 100% of the time they quit mowing when it's their turn. Half the time they won't hire me to do it during their weeks - and I have to drop them. The other half of the time they're glad to have me take over all the mowing. At this point you have absolutely nothing to lose to trying it out.

As for them not trimming, blowing...no problem. Trimming doesn't take any longer if it's not done every time (and is my favorite part of the job).
Old 05-21-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshack Lawn Care View Post
I've had requests identical to this, only we have to mow on at least a weekly basis up here. 100% of the time they quit mowing when it's their turn. Half the time they won't hire me to do it during their weeks - and I have to drop them. The other half of the time they're glad to have me take over all the mowing. At this point you have absolutely nothing to lose to trying it out.

As for them not trimming, blowing...no problem. Trimming doesn't take any longer if it's not done every time (and is my favorite part of the job).
I think you're right. its worth a shot. the worst that can happen is he doesnt hold up his end and i end up leveling with him. he will either hire me full time or take over for himself. either way i have an opportunity to turn this into a positive account. i guess we will see how it pans out!

2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Hemi Sport
6.5x14' tandem axle trailer
Exmark Lazer Z 52" 2013
Exmark Commercial 30" push/walk behind
Stihl FS90R trimmer
Stihl FC90 stick edger
Stihl HL90K Hedge trimmer
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Extreme Trimmer Racks
Old 05-21-2013, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLandscapingLLC View Post
I think you're right. its worth a shot. the worst that can happen is he doesnt hold up his end and i end up leveling with him. he will either hire me full time or take over for himself. either way i have an opportunity to turn this into a positive account. i guess we will see how it pans out!
I like your website. Add some more pictures of freshly manicured lawns, maybe some quotes from notes that folks have put in with their pmts to you.

Nicely done.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see what the big deal is here. It is either yes, no, or yes until the guy sticks you with high grass to cut or some other unforseen issue. It's not really worth spending more than 30 seconds thinking about. If you take the account and he sticks you, tell him politely that you won't be able to provide further service for whatever reason. Just try to leave on good terms.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino