Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-18-2014, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopecarver View Post
I'm a mechanical engineer so I like to engineer things.... This is an interesting case for me so hear me out.

Simple Version Ingredients:
1 control lever mounted switch
1 12VDC pneumatic valve
1 pressure regulator
1 12VDC compressor & small storage tank
1 air cylinder with about 2" of stroke and about 100 LB actuating force at 100 PSI

I think you can see where I'm going with this but if you don't, control mounted switch wired to pneumatic valve, pneumatic valve supplied pressure by the compressor/tank and plumbed in series to the regulator and to the air cylinder which is connected between the frame of the machine and the frame of the striping kit. Wire it so that when the switch is depressed or flipped on depending on which style switch you have the striping kit is pressed to the ground with a regulated mount of air pressure by the air cylinder. When switch released or off the air cylinder retracts lifting the striping rollers off of the lawn.

The regulator acts to allow adjustable striping pressure without adding weight to the mower while allowing contour following with a constant force.

If you want is simpler then mount a manual air valve on the machine with a spring detent for the activated position. thus removing all electrical aside from the compressor power.

If you want a more complicated "automatic" version then remove the control mounted switch and install two switches that are closed only when both control levers are forward of neutral.

Want it more complicated yet? Add a 3 position switch that allows on/auto/off modes, on bypassing the control switches and closing the circuit, auto pass-through to allow the control switched to operate normally, and off to raise the striping kit all the time (trailer loading, gravel driveways etc)

Maybe I should construct a kit like this for sale.
Awesome!! But way beyond my technical / engineering capabilities!

Shoot - my southern engineering approach was to use an ATV winch; hit the button to lift; hit the button again to release. Some fabbing required.

I wish I had your mechanical engineering skills! I would have some cool hot rods in my garage!!

Any help you can throw my way for my lawn stripper (that a normal guy like me can do -- would be greatly appreciated though. Really)
Old 08-18-2014, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Knowing that something is possible is half the battle, and engineering doesn't pay very good where I am. Once everybody has a degree nobody has a degree.