Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lost here,Why do you want a PO box Goggled?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Lost here,Why do you want a PO box Goggled?
In my case a I want a specific city for my business address, so I have to go the PO route. I want people to find me via google, but to comply with google's guidelines, must hide the address.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2TheGreenIndustry View Post
In my case a I want a specific city for my business address, so I have to go the PO route. I want people to find me via google, but to comply with google's guidelines, must hide the address.
Can you then list the address of the post office instead?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Can you then list the address of the post office instead?
I did use the post office address initially to get around the no po box issue, but have since hidden the address. Google will pick up on the fact it's the post office and not your actual location...Tony can probably give you a better explanation as to how it all works.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's one of those little ironies of life. The same search engine that indexes and lists your business info also has the information indexed to determine that you're not a legitimate storefront because they also know that a UPS Store or Post Office is at that address as well.

Within a couple hundred yards of where I'm currently sitting is a mailbox store. By searching just the address of the store, I now see that it's a place where quite a few customers could attempt to visit any of 40 businesses that aren't really there. That's why Google has the Quality Guidelines that they do. You shouldn't be on a map if you don't exist and prospective visitors shouldn't be on a snipe hunt.

With that said, I continue to have no problem ranking Service Area Businesses (SAB), so there's really no point in trying to game Google. A site not being in the 7 Pack (or whatever your location supports) is not the end of the world if you can capture the organic rank.

As an example of the 7 Pack and Organic ranks, I've been helping a couple of business owners dig out of Google slaps due to PO Box issues that are in more desirable city(s) than their actual location. I deleted the locations and started over with SABs. I've mentioned one in recent posts, but not the other. The 2nd company lives in an outlying town, 8 miles from his preferred city. As you may or may not know, you're not likely going to rank in the 7 Pack of Google Local results if you're not actually located in that town. Doing a lot of off-site citation work, I rebuilt his legitimate location for the town he is actually in. I attacked the other towns via organic search/seo method and, as of last night, his situation is much rosier:

City 1: Targetted Metro of 500k residents
Town 1: 10k residents
Town 2: 5k residents

Of course the business owner lives in Town 2, the smallest, albeit most affluent market.

His ranks now are as follows for his key search words:

City 1: #2 overall organic
Town 1: #2 overall organic
Town 2: #1 of the 7 Pack

He's #1 of the 7 Pack for Town 2 as that's where his business is actually located, triggering the 7 Pack eligible listing.

He's #2 overall for the others as that's where our efforts have been concentrated knowing that it takes a different type of work to achieve.

Now, in the time that we've been working towards those results, we were augmenting search with an Adwords campaign. The long-term benefit to doing good organic work is that the ads that are now sitting directly above his #2 search ranks are his own. His Adwords Quality is also #1, so what we're now able to do is ween off the Adwords campaign altogether, or find the right mix, and then be able to allocate the campaign budgets to other words of interest. That's up to $600/month that's now been freed up. I should add that I say "ween" because you need to find the right balance of what's converting for you. For his business, as an industry/market, Adwords conversions are in the 4.29% range, while Adwords overall is 5.69%. This guy is flat out crushing it with 26% and a 10 to 1 return, so keeping Adwords in the mix might be a no-brainer.

(side note: the amusing thing with his #2 ranks are that the #1 result is the same company, who dominates that area. that company hasn't been in business for 2 years, although he keeps the web site up and just funnels the leads to my guy. i know one of you is dealing with an issue of a bogus/dead/squatting web site sitting in the #1 spot, so i feel your pain a bit, although mine is a friendly. lol)