Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

That's exactly what we do I have 2 guys to a truck one starts taking pics while the other one unloads, he starts cutting in front while the guy is finishing the pics in back, he think grabs trimmer edges drives and fence lines as foundation the guy on the mower blows off front while the guy trims in the back. 15-20 mins in and out. As long as its 2" or less and all edges and blown off you've done a good job! Theyll knock out 18-23 a day depending on driving distances. Who the hell cares how good it looks as long as the customer is happy and your making money, inhale seperste residential and commercial customer were quality obviously does matter but I honestly make way more per hour doing foreclosure grass cuts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Foreclosure and abandoned property is a big part of my business as well, as been for many years. I work for the bank or the city that enforces the code violations. There are no middle men i have to deal with. My experience shows I make more money dealing direct.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardin53 View Post
Foreclosure and abandoned property is a big part of my business as well, as been for many years. I work for the bank or the city that enforces the code violations. There are no middle men i have to deal with. My experience shows I make more money dealing direct.
Thanks for your input. Who do you contact at bank to discuss lawn maintenance for foreclosure properties? Also, through the bank, do you receive work orders or do you simply enter a contract a supply lawn service for X amount of time? Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I just started with SLS and will see how it goes. In my area there is so many hacks that I have been cutting 2 yards for a year. Im a firefighter with a new family and wife in school so advertising wasnt much. I hope to have better luck with this. My plans is to have myself and 1 guy this year, buy newer equipment and truck, then in a year or 2 if its still going good ill hire 2 more to do them and try to focus more on getting contract work.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes but what a pita load of paper work with pictures and all the BS involved for all that if I need a ton of work it's a whole lot easier I just lowball everything badly.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get with the companies that have been around. Don't sign with the new ones. Because they will try and low-ball you on your yards. Then when you don't produce, they will charge the money back and take it from your check. You also have to keep all your insurance current. GL and Workmans Comp. Have a good mix of accounts
Old 05-03-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Personally I think it's a bit much for a solo but with only one helper it would be peaches, one starts cutting while the other takes pictures, you'd be surprised how long taking 20-30 pictures takes, bring spare batteries, then grab a trimmer, the other guy gets done mowing and blows down, back to the camera and done.

Seriously, it's not the kind of work that pays for folks to stripe it all fancy criss-cross and puckered up lips smooching up on some customer's butt, time to forget the nonsense, folks need to get in, do the job and get out, don't forget the details and you should be good.
Too much walking. Guy on mower takes all pictures.